Movie Review: Bad Trip

Eric+Andre

David Buchan/Variety/Shutterstock

Andre during an interview for the premiere of a new season for his self-titled television show.

Nathan Rogers, Staff Writer

Twenty-twenty-one has been quite the year for movies in general. So many fantastic and well-received films have come out, such as Paper Spiders, Dune, Judas and the Black Messiah,  and so many more. With the corona-virus being so rampant, it has been difficult for some of these films to have been released or filmed with all the scheduling errors and restrictions cast upon the world. Considering that, it is a simple accomplishment within itself to have even released a film during this era. It is my opinion, however, that one film in particular has gone unappreciated. That film is Bad Trip, from the mind of comedic genius Eric Andre, known for his work on the self-titled Eric Andre Show.

Eric Andre is known for his brash style of humor which is shown on full display throughout the runtime of this movie. Starring Eric Andre, Lil Rel Howery, and Tiffany Haddish, among many others, the film begins with Andre’s character, Chris, working at a garage, fixing a car. He then sees his high school crush, Maria, played by Michaela Conlin, who he then vows to pursue. A year later, he wakes up late for his new job at a smoothie shop. He fails at that job again, and asks for advice from an old man nearby who tells him to pursue his crush. The movie then goes on a roller coaster ride of hidden camera style comedy, evolving the genre to its highest point. 

Through thick and thin, this movie does not derail from the comedic line it pursues, also telling a well formed story that revolves around the reactions that people give, sending the film in unexpected directions. The humor does not get exceedingly high-brow, however, sticking to the sort of adult humor you would expect from someone like Andre. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily. As a fan of the show, this movie was a great thrill. However, it just could not seem to wow in any capacity, or, for that matter, do anything outside of what Andre does on his adult swim show. Other critics say the film is “dexterous, but blunt”, and “the gross-out comedy reveals something about humanity”, and “it is a blunt instrument of comedy”. The film stands at a 78% tomatometer on Rotten Tomatoes, and a 68% audience score.

This movie lands at around a seven or eight out of ten after everything is said and done.