The Student News Site of Carterville High School

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

Our Supporters
White Pines Event Center
The symbol of Ghostbusters has stayed the same for almost 40 years, with a few minor adjustments.
Ghostbusters: Does This New View Point Compare to the Original?
Addyson Gill, Staff Writer
Senior Karson Caudill prepares herself as she goes up to bat.
Beginning of an Ending
Senior Karson Caudill reflects on her high school softball career.
Marlee Rosenbery, Staff Writer
Wise Words
CHS teachers share some words of advice for graduation seniors.
Philla Cowser, Arts and Entertainment Editor

In the Shadows of the Curtain

Take a look behind the curtains to see who helps bring the musical to life.
Nevaeh McClellan
Crew members take a bow after the musical

For this year’s musical, Carterville put on You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.The audience sees the actors in the lights but what about the ones in the shadow of the curtain? Crew members behind the scenes help make everything smooth so you, the audience, can enjoy the show.

It takes a lot to try something new during someone’s senior year, but Carterville High School senior Sarah Hartke decided to give it a go.  When asked about the hardest thing about being in the crew, Hartke said, “The hardest part was being quiet because you’re surrounded by your friends and the group of people you are around just makes it so much fun.” 

However, some students have been a part of the crew for a majority of their high school years, such as junior Jewel McCamish who has been a part of the past three musicals, while also participating in other activities in school. McCamish said, “My first musical, Godspell, helped lead me to look into Christianity and helped me to start expressing myself better and become the person I want to be. My second musical was Clue, and I was able to showcase my second language (French) while playing as the character, Yvett. For this year’s musical, You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown, I was able to assist in directing which was a whole different experience in which I met so many amazing people. These shows genuinely have helped me as a person and made my high school experience ten times better.”

In the shadows under the performers with dim lights, sits the musicians behind most of the music of the musicals. Often unseen from the audience, the musicians set a tone with their instruments weaving through the dialogue and dance with an invisible thread binding the entire production together. Senior Melody Bytnar said, “This was my first year in the pit because we haven’t had it since I’ve started high school but I played the float for this year’s musical. It is very different from any of my other experiences because each instrument is super important. All of them have their own special moments, so it’s like everyone really shines in the pit.”

Whether it’s in the lights, behind the curtain or in the pit with the band, there is a place for anyone new or returning to join in on the musical magic. Take a leap and be a part of the musicals of Carterville high school and meet new people while trying something different.