The Student News Site of Carterville High School

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

Our Supporters
White Pines Event Center
The symbol of Ghostbusters has stayed the same for almost 40 years, with a few minor adjustments.
Ghostbusters: Does This New View Point Compare to the Original?
Addyson Gill, Staff Writer
Senior Karson Caudill prepares herself as she goes up to bat.
Beginning of an Ending
Senior Karson Caudill reflects on her high school softball career.
Marlee Rosenbery, Staff Writer
Wise Words
CHS teachers share some words of advice for graduation seniors.
Philla Cowser, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Disney Band Trip

Joanna Samples
The Carterville Marching band and Color guard team marching down main street in front of the Magic Kingdom Castle.

As the school year started in Fall 2023, the Carterville marching band also started, with a big announcement from the band director, Mrs. Braddock stating that the band would be going to Disney in 2024! 

This pumped up everyone this season, especially the new high school marching band members. For months, the band, as well as the color guard team and band boosters, worked hard to earn the money to be able to afford all of the expenses.

With this, before everyone knew it, it was a week before spring break and the band and color guard team worked hard to learn the new song and routine, with many tears, and sweat. 

The morning of the beginning of Spring break, all of the band kids and color guard team arrived at the high school to load all of their luggage onto the charger buses and wait until it was time for them to embark on their journey to Disney. The time came and they traveled for 17 hours in a charter bus and made it safely to Disney.

The following day they started with a hit off of going to Animal Kingdom, enjoying all the different foods, rides, activities, and so much more! Before they knew it, it was Tuesday, time for them to enjoy the most magical park in the area, the magic kingdom, the same day that their hard work would be finally revealed, as they marched down the main street in front of the Disney castle. 

Senior Addysen Kell said “with Disney was sad, I almost started crying, but I stopped myself because there were a bunch of people. It will be very memorable to me.”

It was also senior Ayden Gill’s first time in the band and first parade marching through Disney, and he said that, “it was magical and it was nice to see everyone just smiling back at me and how many people from around the world were gathered in one place to see us perform.” 

After a successful day, students continued their vacations by going to Hollywood studios the following day and relaxing back at the resort by hanging out with friends in the pool or at the cafe, they ended their spring break with the last part of the week at Epcot, although they were exhausted they continued to enjoy their last day of Florida with the few new rides and being able to hang out with friends. 

Finally, on Friday, March 15, and the whole band group and color guard team were on the way to leave the resort, packing their bags and getting comfy for the 17-hour ride back home, although it was long, it was successful, a few hiccups in Atlanta, Georgia which made their trip longer but made it safely and sound back to the high school. 

As a result, the Disney Band Trip of 2024, as well as their season, was a success, with a few hiccups along the way, but it was the only thing that kept them motivated and strong along the way and to never give up.