The Student News Site of Carterville High School

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

Our Supporters
White Pines Event Center
The symbol of Ghostbusters has stayed the same for almost 40 years, with a few minor adjustments.
Ghostbusters: Does This New View Point Compare to the Original?
Addyson Gill, Staff Writer
Senior Karson Caudill prepares herself as she goes up to bat.
Beginning of an Ending
Senior Karson Caudill reflects on her high school softball career.
Marlee Rosenbery, Staff Writer
Wise Words
CHS teachers share some words of advice for graduation seniors.
Philla Cowser, Arts and Entertainment Editor

New Percy Jackson: Dog Water?

Review: Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Disney+
Characters Grover, Percy Jackson, and Annabeth Chase holding the lightning bolt.

What’s the new Percy Jackson and the Olympian series like?

It is entertaining and holds some similarities to the movies aside from some slight adaptations to fit the decade we’re in now to add some more enjoyers to the fandom. It received a positive reaction but has some critics who disagree with the casting. The cast of actors put into it have accepting personalities, and it is cool seeing them get together behind the cameras along with having actual friendships, giving a good perspective of what we’re watching and the type of people working in it. 

The series starts with the main character, Percy Jackson, who faces conflict both at home and in school. Many viewers describe him as sassy and snarky with the comments he makes in dialogue; they enjoy it and want more. Besides his conflicting personality, there is his childhood best friend, Grover, who helps him deal with events. He’s personally timid and disinterested in the conflict, but when it comes to protecting Percy, he’s courageous when it is needed. “I think that’s his mentor and leader throughout the series” said CHS sophomore Cheyenne Wood. 

Along Percy’s journey, the audience come across the character Annabeth, who sticks beside Percy and Grover becoming an ultimate trio. She is very intelligent, driven, and loyal in the god’s field of study. Her wiseness has the viewers going feral because of her strong personality. Percy, Grover, and Annabeth are the big three, they go through a trial of trust leading them to the ultimate friendship they are rewarded with at the end of the series. “I think that the trio facing all those problems together shows the importance of friendship” said CHS sophomore Edelia Amaro.

While many people were awaiting the release of the new series with excitement, some criticized the casting of Annabeth, a main character, being cast as a young black woman named Leah Jefferies. They believe she should be portrayed as a blonde white girl to stay true to what was written in the books. With that, this has been described as an issue called “race swapping” and “wokeness” by those critics, claiming her casting was an act of inclusiveness.

However, the author of the books, Rick Riordan, shut them down by saying how Leah Jefferie’s casting is true to the spirit of his franchise, diving in on Leah being an experienced and talented actor worthy of the role of Annabeth Chase. “You either are not aware or have dismissed Leah’s years of hard work honing her craft, talent, tenacity, focus, screen presence. You refuse to believe her selection could have been based on merit” said Riordan. 

He disagrees with the critics on her not being accurate to the comics, saying the actors he chose are perfect for the roles with the talent they bring to the show, electrifying the lines given for audition. He then rightfully calls their assumptions and treatment of her cast racist, explaining how they judged her spot for the role exclusively on how she looked biased. Many people have an issue with Annabeth Chase being characterized in books as a blonde white woman and believe her being cast as a young black woman is inaccurate to her character, but Rick Riordan the writer disagrees. 

Percy Jackson and the Olympians are great and stray away from the movies and books people will remember from the past. The show is already beloved, about to receive another season, and it already has its critics. From what it seems, this show will go far and change the industry. People should focus on personality instead of physical appearance. The Percy Jackson series is very interesting and entertaining, and the cast and storyline go well together.