The Student News Site of Carterville High School

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

Our Supporters
White Pines Event Center
The symbol of Ghostbusters has stayed the same for almost 40 years, with a few minor adjustments.
Ghostbusters: Does This New View Point Compare to the Original?
Addyson Gill, Staff Writer
Senior Karson Caudill prepares herself as she goes up to bat.
Beginning of an Ending
Senior Karson Caudill reflects on her high school softball career.
Marlee Rosenbery, Staff Writer
Wise Words
CHS teachers share some words of advice for graduation seniors.
Philla Cowser, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Popular Books This Year

Popular Romance Books This Year

This year, reading is a staple for many high schoolers. Today, romance has been the best-selling genre, including The Love Hypothesis, Twisted Love, It Ends With Us, and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. These title books in the romance genre have been read a lot of poeple. 

Starting with The Love Hypothesis, it is based on a girl named Olive Smith who does not believe in lasting romantic relationships. But her best friend does; that’s what got her in the situation in the first place. Olive tries to convince her best friend Anh that she is dating, but Anh doesn’t believe her. To prove herself, she uses the first man she sees to prove herself.  That man turns out to be Adam Carlsen, her professor, and a very grumpy person. Will she fall in love or not? Mel said, “If you want happiness, read this book.” 

The next best-selling is Twisted Love by Ana Huang. This crazy story is based on a girl named Ava Chen, and a man named Alex Volkov. It was a good book, but it was very predictable. Until the end, the end throws a crazy plot twist that nobody would ever expect. In this story, Alex is asked to watch over Ava by her brother since he is leaving for a while and does not trust her, and then, as expected, they fall in love. But towards the end, something crazy happens. Is the love fake, or would he do anything to have her?  Ali Hazelwood said, “Spent several days in a Twisted series-induced trance, regret nothing, 8 million stars out of 5.”

It Ends With Us is most people’s favorite book; it is relatable in ways that make people laugh and cry. It is about a young girl named Lily Bloom who wants to start a flower business. When she was a teenager she met a homeless boy named Atlas, and they immediately hit it off. When she got older, they fell apart and separated, and she ended up meeting a man named Ryle on a rooftop. A lot happens, and she is reunited with her old love. Does she still love Atlas, or does she love Ryle? Carterville High Schol sophomore, Nora Thatcher said, “It’s a really good book, and it pulls at your heartstrings, but I’m still team Ryle.”

These are all the books that are the most read today in the romance genre; the one people would recommend the most is It Ends With Us, because it really pulls at the heart and shares a good message. It is relatable and as sad as it is, most girls go through what Lily went through; if you are one of the people who have not read it yet, consider reading it.