Court is in Session

Anna Hartford, Staff Writer

The 2017-2018 CHS boys basketball season has come to a close. The Lions played Massac County at Carbondale High School on February 26th in the first round of regionals. It was a close and hard fought game. Sadly, the Lions fell to the Patriots 46-48. This year’s basketball team had five seniors: Justin Johnson, Dylan Valerius, Grant Garbe, Fidel Campbell and Conner Henderson. Senior night was on February 23rd against the Herrin Tigers. Before the varsity game started, each senior on the team was recognized on the court with their parents. It was a bittersweet moment for the players and their families. The game against the Tigers was an extremely invigorating game.  The Lions battled for all four quarters and kept it close with Herrin the whole game, until the last couple minutes. Unfortunately, the Lions lost on their last regular season game. Although they did not receive the outcome that they wanted, it was an incredible last home game for the five seniors. The atmosphere was full of energy. The student sections for both schools were large and cheering throughout the entire game. When Coach Shane Hawkins was asked about the season, he said, “Even though our record was not what we wanted it to be, the players continued to work hard every day and improve as a team”. This year’s season was a growing experience for all of the players. They may have not done as well as they had hoped to, but they improved each and every day in their skills and as a team.