Preparing for the Test of the Future

In order to help students prepare for the SAT, Advisory teachers passed out a student guide booklet with tips and tricks for the test. This booklet helps students gain insight on what to expect when taking the SAT.

Paige Mausey, Staff Editor

With the SAT just around the corner for juniors at Carterville High School, students have begun preparing for the big test on April 13th. For the class of 2023, the SAT is a bit different. Instead of taking the PSAT sophomore year, as many high school students usually would, this group of students took it in the fall of their junior year. The PSAT being administered junior year could more accurately predict SAT scores due to the timing of the test.

Along with the timing differences of taking the PSAT, the class of 2023 missed out on the information that was to be taught at the end of freshman year. This group also experienced a hybrid sophomore year with many changes in the schedule along the way. With a shortage of information and an unknown return of the essay portion of the test, the junior class has an interesting predicament when it comes to the SAT.

Several students have taken it upon themselves to prepare for the big test outside of class. Junior Ally Lange says “to get a better score on the SAT in April, I have taken the SAT twice already. I also use Khan Academy to help study the areas I still need to improve in.” 

Lange is not the only student that has been studying for the SAT. Zoey Finney, CHS junior, also says “I’ve been using the testing booklets and using Read Theory to study.”

In addition to studying outside of class, students, such as Finney, have been participating in the practice tests given in math and english classes. Other students have just been taking the advice given in class as their form of studying.

Junior Mackenzie Schumer says “The explanation Mrs. Dorris gave us over the SAT helped to prepare me for what to expect while taking the test. For example, she gave us 11 tips on how to successfully take the SAT with ease. After getting these tips, I feel less stressed about taking the test.” The extra information provided by teachers helps to fill the gap and inform kids on what to expect while taking the test.

A few students are not too worried about the upcoming SAT test. Junior Andrew Hellriegel says “We winging that thing.” Hellriegel along with many other students are planning on not studying for the SAT outside of class. They plan on just accepting the score they get, while others already plan on retaking the SAT during the summer no matter what score they get.

Junior Paige Reidy also has not studied outside of class for the test. Reidy says “I wanted to study for the SAT, but then I realized that’s way too much work, so I just kind of stopped.” With the school year winding down, activities and extracurriculars outside of school have picked up, making students busier than ever. This has caused many students to just hope for the best on the SAT and possibly look more into test optional schooling.

Many colleges across the country are becoming test optional schools. This means that when applying to these colleges, applicants are not required to submit their testing scores if they do not wish to. Emily Spann, director of student programming at Southern Illinois University, speaks her opinion on colleges becoming test optional by saying, “By using a student’s grade point average, it allows a college or university to take a holistic look at a student’s academic success over a period of time as opposed to a single test. With regards to SIU, we’ve always been an institution of access and opportunity. By removing the SAT/ACT requirement, it eliminates one hurdle for students considering college in their future plans.” This allows students to not stress as much about taking the SAT if the college they plan to attend does not require the scores for acceptance.

With a small disadvantage from missing school due to Covid freshman and sophomore year, the junior class of 2023 is making way on their SAT adventure.