The Student News Site of Carterville High School

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

Our Supporters
White Pines Event Center
The symbol of Ghostbusters has stayed the same for almost 40 years, with a few minor adjustments.
Ghostbusters: Does This New View Point Compare to the Original?
Addyson Gill, Staff Writer
Senior Karson Caudill prepares herself as she goes up to bat.
Beginning of an Ending
Senior Karson Caudill reflects on her high school softball career.
Marlee Rosenbery, Staff Writer
Wise Words
CHS teachers share some words of advice for graduation seniors.
Philla Cowser, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Space Bound Creations: Building Rockets

Benjamin Hayes
Sophomore Abby Stalker watching her rocket soar to the ceiling.

Carterville High School science teachers, Mr. Dunn and Mrs. Tillery, found an interesting project for Earth and Space Science students to participate in last week. In the world of education, creativity is a key component to learning. Mr. Dunn and Mrs. Tillery, have exemplified this through a unique project that involved building rockets out of balloons. This fun and interactive activity not only captured the students’ attention but also provided a hands-on learning experience that was both educational and enjoyable.

Mr. Dunn and Mrs. Tillery introduced a project that tasked students with building rockets out of balloons. The end goal was for the rockets to successfully reach the ceiling, creating a fun and engaging challenge for the students. This hands-on activity not only created teamwork and creativity but also sparked excitement and curiosity among the students.

The project led by Mr. Dunn and Mrs. Tillery encouraged students to think outside the box and apply their knowledge in a practical setting. By requiring students to construct rockets out of balloons, the teachers challenged them to utilize their problem-solving skills and creativity. 

The challenge of launching a rocket to the ceiling captivated the student’s attention and motivated them to actively participate in the project. Seeing their rockets soar toward the ceiling filled the students with a sense of accomplishment and pride, reinforcing their passion for learning and exploration. 

Junior Emma Rodgers, and Chloe Wills with Senior Lacie Carr Launching their rocket. (Benjamin Hayes)

One student, senior Lacie Carr said, “I never knew building a rocket out of balloons and paper clips could be so much fun. Working with my classmates to design and launch our rocket was an experience that was fun and made me look forward to going to class.”

Another student, junior Gracie Ragan, expressed her enthusiasm for the project by saying, “Mr. Dunn and Mrs. Tillery’s rocket project was the highlight of the semester for me. It was exciting to watch our rockets have a successful mission by making it to the ceiling.”

Earth and Space Science Students seem to always be expressing enthusiasm for the class and the assignments.  As the school year comes to a close students are looking forward to more creative projects and a field trip to SIU. 

Sophomore Caden Jordan and Andy Johnson building their rocket with senior Trent Shifferdecker (Benjamin Hayes)