The Student News Site of Carterville High School

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

Our Supporters
White Pines Event Center
The symbol of Ghostbusters has stayed the same for almost 40 years, with a few minor adjustments.
Ghostbusters: Does This New View Point Compare to the Original?
Addyson Gill, Staff Writer
Senior Karson Caudill prepares herself as she goes up to bat.
Beginning of an Ending
Senior Karson Caudill reflects on her high school softball career.
Marlee Rosenbery, Staff Writer
Wise Words
CHS teachers share some words of advice for graduation seniors.
Philla Cowser, Arts and Entertainment Editor

New Year, New Competition

Journalism Students head to SISPA
Mr. Cure
The Publications class and Sports Reporting class take a picture together at the SISPA conference.
Editors from the Sports Reporting and Journalism class stand side by side to present there awards they received at SISPA on February 28th in the ballroom. Junior Hailey Bolen, Senior Philla Cowser, Danielle Scott, Junior Nevaeh McClellan and Senior Regan Eigenrauch.

The High Publications and Sports Reporting classes took a trip to SIUC for their annual SISPA conference on Febuary 28th to compete against multiple schools to start their competition season. Both classes started with newcomers competing and many were nervous about their first competition. Sophomore Addyson Gill is one of the newcomers to the Publications class and talked about the beginning of the SISPA event as, “being nervous since it is my first time competing and seeing how Carterville will perform at each of the competitions.” 

Before the competition occurred, many had the opportunity to practice their categories before the event. As this was a first for many, there were multiple different strengths and weaknesses to show throughout the student’s abilities for their category. Aubrey Konstantopoulos, a sophomore, practiced for multiple different writing categories and was able to compete in New Writing. Aubrey shares her thoughts on competing by saying, “I am pretty confident in my writing abilities, but I am not sure about getting first place for it. But, it’s gonna be a fun experience in a way to improve my skills and to try new things.”

For a few students, this is their second or third year participating at SISPA. Danielle Scott, senior, is a student from the Sports Reporting class and has been competing at SISPA for the past three years along with Senior Regan Rigenrauch. “I am very excited to be able to have this opportunity to compete as this is my third year at SISPA,” explains Scott as she goes on to talk about it as “it is not something we work on all the time in the category that I am competing in to be able to try something new and to be able to compete with other people who care about sports like me.” Danielle competed in the sports writing competition along with newcomer Alex Lyell, a sophomore, in the sports reporting class. 

As many went to compete in their categories, some decided to attend open sessions at the conference. A few of these sessions showed the techniques of using social media as a way to promote feed, new photography skills on the Canon Cameras, and tips about creating new designs on spreads. Sophomore Kenadi Compton attended a few of these sessions and was able to gain new skills from a few of these categories. Kenadi states, “I am excited to attend the “Basics of Videography” because I think that it will really contribute to our class next year and bring our class to the next level.”

After the lunch break, students gather back into the awards room to find out the contestants placed during their contests at SISPA. These are the students who were able to place for Carterville:

• Newspaper Adviser of the Year: Mr.Cure 
  • Theme Development: Juniors Hailey Bolen, Nevaeh McClellan, Seniors Gabe Landon, Philla Cowser, Sophomore Ash Keim (1st)
  • Feature Photo: Junior Nevaeh McClellan (1st)
  • Sports Photo: Senior Regan Eigenrauch (1st)
  • Yearbook Feature: Sophomore Marlee Rosenberg (2nd)
  • Sports Writing: Senior Danielle Scott (1st) and Sophomore Alex Lyell (3rd)
  • Editorial Writing: Senior Benjamin Hayes (3rd)
  • Photography: Senior Regan Eigenrauch (3rd)
  • Advertising: Senior Addyson Kell (1st)
  • Clubs or Organizations Spread: Senior Gabe Landon and Sophomore Ash Keim (2nd)

Both classes had a great experience in the event and will be preparing to compete at the IHSA Journalism Sectionals in class on April 6th. Congratulations to the winners from SISPA and good luck to the competitors competing for sectionals.