The Student News Site of Carterville High School

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

Our Supporters
White Pines Event Center
The symbol of Ghostbusters has stayed the same for almost 40 years, with a few minor adjustments.
Ghostbusters: Does This New View Point Compare to the Original?
Addyson Gill, Staff Writer
Senior Karson Caudill prepares herself as she goes up to bat.
Beginning of an Ending
Senior Karson Caudill reflects on her high school softball career.
Marlee Rosenbery, Staff Writer
Wise Words
CHS teachers share some words of advice for graduation seniors.
Philla Cowser, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Carterville Track: Born to Run

New Season is Sprinting Off
Junior+Nick+Hellreigel+high+jumping+during+the+2023+season.+
Kayce Glenn
Junior Nick Hellreigel high jumping during the 2023 season.

It is officially track season at Carterville High School, and athletes are already hitting the ground running in the hopes of a successful season. By setting high expectations for themselves this season, the team is ready to showcase their abilities and represent the Carterville Lions.

The Carterville track team is led by head coach, Jonathan Wilhelm, who has been working to prepare his athletes for some of the challenges ahead. Coach Wilhelm has a mindset centered around hard work, dedication, and teamwork. Over the past few years as head coach, Wilhelm has instilled a winning mentality in his athletes that will hopefully lead the team to success this season. 

“We’re excited to get the season going.  As the weather begins to warm up it’s always nice to begin competing and see where we’re at as a group.  We’ve got a lot of kids out this year so it will be interesting to see our improvements throughout the season” said coach Wilhelm.

This year’s team is made up of a talented group of athletes, each showcasing their strengths and abilities. One athlete to keep an eye on is senior thrower, Braden Wakey. Braden has stood out when it comes to his events. After only his first year Braden threw 157 feet in the discus. This year Wakey hopes to “… throw 180 to 185 in the discus, and plans on throwing shot put and participating in long jump.”

After high school, Braden plans on continuing his track career in college.

Senior Braden Wakey during his 2023 track season. Photo by Kayce Glenn

For the girls team, senior sprinter Ava Vasicek also is looking forward to the start of the season. Ava typically participates in numerous events including hurdles, pole vault, and the 4×4 relay.  Ava does not “…want to put too high of expectations on…(herself)… this season but one goal would be to clear each hurdle in 3 steps by conference.”

As the season progresses, the Carterville track team will continue to train hard, with daily practices, as they pursue their limits. With help and support from the team’s coaches and fans,the Carterville High School track team hopes to have a great season.

Ben Roberts (graduated) running the 110 meter hurdles during the 2023 season. (Jenna Stanley)

So, be sure to come out to support the Carterville track team as the season kicks off. With hard work and determination, the team is ready to make this season one to remember. Go Lions!