The Student News Site of Carterville High School

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

Our Supporters
White Pines Event Center
The symbol of Ghostbusters has stayed the same for almost 40 years, with a few minor adjustments.
Ghostbusters: Does This New View Point Compare to the Original?
Addyson Gill, Staff Writer
Senior Karson Caudill prepares herself as she goes up to bat.
Beginning of an Ending
Senior Karson Caudill reflects on her high school softball career.
Marlee Rosenbery, Staff Writer
Wise Words
CHS teachers share some words of advice for graduation seniors.
Philla Cowser, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Senior Cheer Spotlight

Senior Jada Outland, making the most of her season even though she is injured.
Hailey Bolen
Jada Outland (12) spirits during a football game.

Senior Jada Outland’s spinal back injury suffered last year hasn’t limited her involvement at CHS as she continues to look ahead.While the injury, which was multiple cracks on both sides of her L3 lumbar vertebrae, limited her ability to be involved in her sports compared to prior years, Jada is still there, cheering on her team.

Outland’s activities include Student Leadership Council, Student Council, Interact Club, Educator Rising, and Fellowship of Christian Athletes. A National Honor Society member, Jada is also a member of the Lions’ volleyball and cheerleading teams. 

“This has limited my ability to cheer and play volleyball my senior year. After seeing multiple doctors, and neurosurgeons, being braced for weeks, and countless unknowns [I] have now started physical therapy. This has been extremely hard for me but I have continued to trust in God and his plan,” Outland said.

Head cheerleading coach Linda Drust shared how Jada uplifts and supports her team even though she is battling an injury. “Jada has been an integral part of our cheer team this year. She still participates in sideline cheering and has been amazing to assist with the competition team, She provides instruction to flyers learning new skills, and assists with choreography. She has accepted a role similar to an assistant coach. Her maturity and knowledge have been invaluable this year.”

Outland has learned a lot about herself dealing with her injury this year, being that it was such a drastic change from what she was used to. “The main thing I have learned from dealing with my injury is that my sports do not define me. My coaches have always told me that, but it never truly had an impact until I was told I couldn’t participate in either of my sports again” said Outland.

Sophomore Emma Burzynski said, “Even though Jada is injured she shows up no matter what and helps us do things correctly. She helps the team stay together and continues to push through and support us no matter what.”

After her journey of being a leader for her team ends, Jada plans to attend Southern Illinois University Carbondale and study elementary education. After college, she hopes to stay local and teach at an elementary school.