The Student News Site of Carterville High School

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

Our Supporters
White Pines Event Center
The symbol of Ghostbusters has stayed the same for almost 40 years, with a few minor adjustments.
Ghostbusters: Does This New View Point Compare to the Original?
Addyson Gill, Staff Writer
Senior Karson Caudill prepares herself as she goes up to bat.
Beginning of an Ending
Senior Karson Caudill reflects on her high school softball career.
Marlee Rosenbery, Staff Writer
Wise Words
CHS teachers share some words of advice for graduation seniors.
Philla Cowser, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Older vs. Younger Siblings

Nevaeh McClellan
Alexis McClellan (10) and Nevaeh McClellan (11) take a photo together as siblings during the firework show at Cannon Park.

Being siblings has many advantages and disadvantages, depending on who the oldest and youngest are in the family. For example, most families try to have at least one or two children. Still, some try to have a maximum of four to five children, which is the parent’s decision. 

Now, let’s talk about what it is like to be the older sibling of a family. From peace and quiet to screaming and laughing, younger siblings are a problem for older siblings. For example, being an older sibling is much more work than most people think; it teaches that person what it is like to have many responsibilities while trying to do their things at such a young age.

However, the downside to being an older sibling is that the Mom and Dad may be much harder on them since they are the firstborn. While on the other hand, the youngest gets it the easiest because they have been used to the auctions from the oldest child. Many people do not understand the time and effort this takes to place, “As an older sibling, it takes much responsibility. My younger brother can and will be a “snow hazard” some days, but I know he is only like this because he wants to live up to my expectations” said junior Jennifer Zhang.

On the other hand, being a younger sibling might be just as tricky as being the oldest. “Being a younger sibling is just as hard as being the oldest. I, for example, would know because I am the youngest compared to my sister. My family already knows most of the tricks to get off with something and not get in trouble due to her. So, therefore, they are not the most lenient with me because they already know my tricks up my sleeve, as they could call it,” said sophomore Alexis McClellan. 

Another perspective from a younger sibling, sophomore Aubrey Konstantopoulos, explains, ” Being the younger makes it easier to ask my siblings for rides when I need somewhere to go since I do not have my license yet.”

However, in the end, each sibling is different and faced with punishments they caused themselves to get. They are equally annoying to one another.