The Student News Site of Carterville High School

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

Our Supporters
White Pines Event Center
Playing in the Sun
Playing in the Sun
Celebrating the upcoming summer activities.
Ash Keim, Staff Writer
Elise Judd (11) getting advice while taking photos on the field. It was a cool experience, and I never thought I would get that chance said Judd.
Sport Reporting: The Cool Sibling of Yearbook/HS Publications
Hailey Halliday, Staff Writer
The symbol of Ghostbusters has stayed the same for almost 40 years, with a few minor adjustments.
Ghostbusters: Does This New View Point Compare to the Original?
Addyson Gill, Staff Writer

First Thoughts: Fall Sports

CHS student athletes their thoughts and opinions of the seasons firsts.
Phila+Cowser+%2812%29+enjoying+herself+between+holes+on+the+golf+course.++
Aubrey Konstantopoulos
Phila Cowser (12) enjoying herself between holes on the golf course.

The Carterville fall sports season was kicked off a few weeks ago, resulting in some wins and losses for a number of our teams. Carterville players from golf, soccer, football, and volleyball, share some in depth the thoughts and feelings of the start of the season. 

Senior Philla Cowser, girls golf member said “I feel like I’ve been a lot hard on myself considering it is my senior year but yolo. I’ve been playing since I was seven, and I’m very proud of who I’ve become on the green.” She adds “I envision myself playing mini putt-putt during a match. I feel less stressed when thinking that way!”

Junior, soccer player, Jake Mason said “The season so far has been really tough on the team, but I believe we can pull through. I tried to look up to previous players like Ty Morley (Graduate) when this season started to better myself and the team.” “I’ve been playing soccer for 12 years now, and I’ve grown to love playing for Carterville these last couple of years” said Mason when referring to his time playing soccer so far this season.

Sophomore, football player, Jamison Jones, said “I’ve developed more physicality compared to when I started playing football 3 years ago. I would also like to point out that the season has started off right with a 4-0 so far. I’m really confident with the current team.” Jones  expands his response on his team by saying, “They’ve definitely brought their A game this season, Brandon Skelcher (12) and Aiden Hiton (12) have really carried this team.”

Freshman, volleyball player, Hayden Harmon, said, “During this 2023 season, I, personally, believe my mindset has changed due to the sports [that] I play. I take it more seriously compared to middle school volleyball.” Hayden then puts her thoughts on the future as “I  joined sports to stay in shape, but now that I’m older, I’ve become aware that I’m now working for a goal, which is success!”

The season has been one of mixed emotions. Fall sports have come together to express their views on school athletics. Sophomore, girls golf member, Addyson Gill shares her final thoughts on the fall season as “Carterville sports are all about hard work, and practice doesn’t make perfect. Practice makes someone a team player” said Gill.