The Student News Site of Carterville High School

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

Our Supporters
White Pines Event Center
Playing in the Sun
Playing in the Sun
Celebrating the upcoming summer activities.
Ash Keim, Staff Writer
Elise Judd (11) getting advice while taking photos on the field. It was a cool experience, and I never thought I would get that chance said Judd.
Sport Reporting: The Cool Sibling of Yearbook/HS Publications
Hailey Halliday, Staff Writer
The symbol of Ghostbusters has stayed the same for almost 40 years, with a few minor adjustments.
Ghostbusters: Does This New View Point Compare to the Original?
Addyson Gill, Staff Writer

A New Opportunity for Carterville Freshmen

Health, Driver’s Ed, and PE changes for the 23-24 school year.
Nora Thatcher
8th hour Personal Fitness students do Zumba after warming up.

This year, the Carterville High School athletic department and school administration decided to try something new with the freshman class. In the past, a typical PE class for underclassmen includes a Health class for one semester and Driver’s Ed course for the other during freshman year. This year freshmen attend their Driver’s Ed or Health class three days a week and their chosen PE class on Tuesdays and Fridays. Studentswere able to select any of the follwing PE classes Personal Fitness, Traditional PE, or Strength and Speed. 

Due to less class time, the Health and Driver’s Ed teachers are now teaching topics with two fewer classes per week. “I’ve had to cut a few activities and projects out that have been a part of the class in the past. However, I’ve structured it in a way that I can still cover all necessary topics within the curriculum,” said Mr. Samuels, Health and Strength and Speed teacher.

Freshman and Traditional PE student Hailey Holliday said, “Luckily, Mr. Hawkins, Driver’s Ed instructor, doesn’t give too much homework, so I really don’t have to work around there being school work and PE.”

Even though they are adjusting class time, the teachers understand and value the importance of physical education in the students’ lives and are liking the change. “I feel it is really important that every student gets as much physical activity as possible, so we all decided as a department and an administration that we would love for freshmen to get an opportunity to be active throughout the week,” said Mrs. Emrick, Personal Fitness and Traditional PE teacher.

An unexpected positive aspect of the new program is the leadership opportunities available for the upperclassmen. The upperclassmen are taking the initiative in teaching and demonstrating to the freshmen how high school fitness classes work. “This year, we are able to have our upperclassmen step up as leaders and show the freshman how we do things in PE, the routines and structure of it… so they get to really learn from the upperclassmen,” said Emrick commenting on how her classes have changed. 

“Regular physical activity can help children and adolescents improve cardiorespiratory fitness, build strong bones and muscles, control weight, reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression, and reduce the risk of developing health conditions,” says the CDC. This means that physical activity has many health benefits, physical and mental.

It’s important for all students to have opportunities to be physically active, especially in their freshman year. This allows for them to have an opportunity to learn how to be physically active and to carry that through the rest of their lives,” said Samuels.

Overall, although the new PE schedule for freshmen decreases class time, it gives students better mental and physical health opportunities.