Lions Double Up on Lancers

Dani Scott, Sports Reporter

CARTERVILLE – The Lions softball team took two wins against the Belleville East Lancers in a doubleheader Wednesday. They won the first game 2-0 and the second 6-4.

Head Coach Will Capie was excited about the girls’ win.

“The ladies battled through adverse weather conditions and completed a sweep over a state-ranked 4A program. I’m proud of their effort and fight!”

Freshman Caidence Phillips started the first game in the circle and shut the Lancers down. Lacie Carr and Maddie Rosenbery drove in the only two runs of the game in the first inning.

Taryn Ford and Carr pitched the second game, leading to a battle at the plate for both teams.

The Lions led most of the game until the Lancers scored three runs in the fifth inning, taking the lead at 2-3. The Lions answered by loading the bases, Carr smoked a line drive up the middle to score all base runners. This helped ensure the win for the Lions in the second game.

When asked about her hit Carr said, “I was nervous going up to bat because I didn’t do good my first two at-bats. I was looking for my perfect pitch and I got it, I cleared the bases with a double and put us in the lead. Once I hit second I was happier than ever knowing I put my team ahead.”

The Lions continue their season in Pinckneyville Monday. Follow @CartervilleATH on Twitter and Instagram for more sports content and updates.