The Student News Site of Carterville High School

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

Our Supporters
White Pines Event Center
The symbol of Ghostbusters has stayed the same for almost 40 years, with a few minor adjustments.
Ghostbusters: Does This New View Point Compare to the Original?
Addyson Gill, Staff Writer
Senior Karson Caudill prepares herself as she goes up to bat.
Beginning of an Ending
Senior Karson Caudill reflects on her high school softball career.
Marlee Rosenbery, Staff Writer
Wise Words
CHS teachers share some words of advice for graduation seniors.
Philla Cowser, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Stage Fright Freedom

Seniors give advice on how to get past the fear of auditioning.
Philla Cowser
Junior Jewel McCamish signs up to audition for the 2024 spring musical.

Every audition in high school can be tough, and performing in front of the whole school can make students feel anxious due to all eyes being on them. The fear that comes before an audition can be hard, especially when it comes to the high school productions where performing in front of the whole school is on the line.

It is completely normal for students to feel anxious about the pressure that comes with auditioning and then performing in these plays or musicals. However, overcoming the fear and anxiety of performing is worth it in the long run. To help students overcome those feelings and be able to go out and perform to their heart’s content, some past Carterville High School crew and cast members are sharing some advice they feel can help.

It is important to remember that everyone gets nervous, even people who have been doing this their whole lives. Remembering that the students are not alone in this feeling can be helpful when putting themselves out there. One of the best ways to prepare for an audition is to practice. Just like the common expression, practice does make perfect.

The more a student can practice reading over their scripts, or practicing the songs the more comfortable it will be to perform them. CHS senior, Ava Basolo, gave this piece of advice, ¨I was scared my first time auditioning just because of the unknown,  but once I realized that I had nothing to lose I decided just to be myself and ended up getting the part I wanted!” 

Getting in contact, with the teacher directing the show can also help a student feel more comfortable before going into an audition. Josh Hall, one of the school’s play directors, said this about auditioning, “Auditioning for a play takes courage and determination. Remember that the most important thing is to believe in yourself and have confidence in your abilities. Embrace the opportunity to showcase your talents and passion for the performing arts. No matter the outcome, know that your willingness to take a chance is commendable. You are capable, talented, and deserving of this opportunity. Embrace the process, enjoy the experience, and always keep reaching for the stars.”

The directors are there to help and guide those who need it, so students need to know they can come to them with any advice they may have. 

Having time to run through and envision what the auditioner’s ideal outcome would be eases that worry of the unknown. Another past cast member from this year’s play, Hayden Chapman (12) said, “ Imagine that you can do it and imagine that this is easy. I think if you walk in with the mindset that you are going to get the part and it is no struggle at all, then it comes easily and exudes a lot of confidence when you’re auditioning.” 

For all of the students worried about being unable to put themselves out there without feeling anxious and lost, remember that plenty of others have felt the same way. Someone can never know what will happen until they get out there and try it. 

So take these pieces of advice and use them to help ease any potential fears and get out there and shine!