A New Perspective

Even with a tough start color guard shows the odds and pushes through.
Before Competition.
Before Competition.
Sarah Braddock

Starting the school year with a new coach, the color guard team has taken a new look. With new show uniforms to new flags, the color guard team turned the year around from a rough start of not getting their choreograph to getting third place with the band at their first competition of the season at Drums at Apple-time Festival in Murphysboro. 

The team started the season with practice three days a week to sending practice videos to their coach the days without practice to show their ideas and dedication. For Friday home football games, they arrive with hair and makeup done beforehand and arrive ten to twenty minutes earlier than the band to check their uniforms and equipment. Before walking out onto the field to perform for halftime, they get in a circle and the captains give a little pep talk. During this circle some of the members, pray before they get back into their line and run out ready to perform. First year color guard member, Addyson Gill, sophomore, said, “I was very nervous at first but it eventually turned into excitement after the crowd’s reaction and eventually turned into something really fun to do” when discussing her first performance.

Paige Hefferman, freshman, “My favorite things about color guard are that I get to be with my friends, learn new tricks, and be in a very positive environment where everyone celebrates your achievements!”

Sarah Hartke, senior, while on guard and the golf team she is in multiple school clubs explains how she makes time for everything. “I actually struggle with it a lot and it can be overwhelming but I have to remember that I am not alone and I have people who love and support me.”

About the Contributor
Addasyn Kell
Addasyn Kell, Staff Writer
Addasyn is a senior for Carterville and is a captain on color guard. She loves art and making things while listening to music-she is obsessed with Taylor Swift right now. She knows how to play the flute and is learning guitar. She loves doing fun makeup and dressing up with it.