The Student News Site of Carterville High School

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

Our Supporters
White Pines Event Center
The symbol of Ghostbusters has stayed the same for almost 40 years, with a few minor adjustments.
Ghostbusters: Does This New View Point Compare to the Original?
Addyson Gill, Staff Writer
Senior Karson Caudill prepares herself as she goes up to bat.
Beginning of an Ending
Senior Karson Caudill reflects on her high school softball career.
Marlee Rosenbery, Staff Writer
Wise Words
CHS teachers share some words of advice for graduation seniors.
Philla Cowser, Arts and Entertainment Editor

A Recap of The DuQuoin State Fair

Visitors+enjoying+the+DuQuoin+State+Fair+with+all+of+the+different+events%2C+rides%2C+and+food.+
Visitors enjoying the DuQuoin State Fair with all of the different events, rides, and food.

The DuQuoin State Fair has been an annual festival for all towns in southern Illinois since 1923 when a group of Du Quoin business leaders came up with an idea to sponsor an event that would attract people from all over Southern Illinois.

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the DuQuoin State Fair was canceled, the first cancellation since the state purchased the fairgrounds. Before that, only World War II interrupted the fair, but in 2021, the State Fair made a big comeback, resulting in letting us be able to experience this annually. “We’ve got a lot going on. We’re really looking forward to having the fair,” said Director of Agriculture Jerry Costello II. “Canceling it last year was a huge decision and was done in conjunction with the Illinois Department of Public Health. Health and safety of Illinoisans is the most important thing.”

The DuQuoin State Fair 2023 was held from August 25th till September 4th, ending on Labor Day. The fair has so many different fun events to offer, such as different rides for both older and younger kids to enjoy, face painting, delicious foods, live music, shopping, and much more. One of this year’s new rides was the bumper cars. Sophomore Addyson Gill said, “They were so fun, and I think that they’re a good add on to the fair.”

The DuQuoin State Fair next year should be on your bucket list for next year.