The Student News Site of Carterville High School

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

Our Supporters
White Pines Event Center
The symbol of Ghostbusters has stayed the same for almost 40 years, with a few minor adjustments.
Ghostbusters: Does This New View Point Compare to the Original?
Addyson Gill, Staff Writer
Senior Karson Caudill prepares herself as she goes up to bat.
Beginning of an Ending
Senior Karson Caudill reflects on her high school softball career.
Marlee Rosenbery, Staff Writer
Wise Words
CHS teachers share some words of advice for graduation seniors.
Philla Cowser, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Gift Of Love

Spending the day to embrace love and get gifts for people.
Philla Cowser
The school putting up a Valentine’s Day banner in preparation for the Valentine’s Day Banquet.

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and with that comes love in the air and gifts floating to and from people. Many people celebrate this holiday in different types of ways. Some choose to celebrate with their significant other, while others may spend the day with their family. No matter if people are single, dating someone, or in a situationship everyone is probably getting gifts from at least someone. Valentine’s Day is not just for romantic partners, it is a day to celebrate all types of love. The love for family, friends, and even teachers. This love is usually celebrated by getting gifts or spending time with those loved.

There are many different types of gifts. The basic essential gift is flowers and chocolate. No one can ever go wrong with those. This year, a few more items are becoming essential Valentine gifts. One major popular item for this year is the new Valentine’s Day Stanley. Stanley cups became popular in the middle of 2022. The Valentine’s Day cups went viral and are making everyone go crazy, with Target having to limit how many each customer can buy. 

Another popular item this year is what people call a boo basket, the name quite literally meaning a basket for your boo. In this basket, it usually includes your significant other’s favorite foods, candies, and drinks. People occasionally put in a blanket or stuffed animal as well. One necklace is going viral on TikTok, a gem necklace that you can look inside, and it has a picture of whatever not only that, but it could also instead say “I love you” in a bunch of different languages. You can get many different gifts for those you love, including chocolate roses and the famous glitter flowers.

Now, let’s hear from some of the Carterville High School students to see what their favorite gift from Valentine’s Day was. Sophomore Izzy Roland talks about her Valentine’s Day saying, “ I had a good valentines Day this year because I had someone to be with for the first time, and I was extra happy because he got me red roses and we also built Lego flowers together the day before.” Another High schooler was asked about their plans for the day, and Freshman Hayden Harmen spent this year with her boyfriend. They had a nice sushi dinner, and “I got a lot of candy, and I got a bear and note from my boyfriends and chocolate covered strawberries, my dad also got me glitter flowers. Back on the topic of glitter flowers, Cheyenne Wood says, “I got my mom some glitter flowers as well as a bear.” Cheyenne getting a gift for her mom is heart-warming and shows how Valentine’s Day isn’t just for couples.

Valentine’s Day is a wonderful day to celebrate all types of love, even if celebrating with family or a significant other. The day is an overall celebration and should celebrate with those loved.