The Student News Site of Carterville High School

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

The Sphinx

Our Supporters
White Pines Event Center
The symbol of Ghostbusters has stayed the same for almost 40 years, with a few minor adjustments.
Ghostbusters: Does This New View Point Compare to the Original?
Addyson Gill, Staff Writer
Senior Karson Caudill prepares herself as she goes up to bat.
Beginning of an Ending
Senior Karson Caudill reflects on her high school softball career.
Marlee Rosenbery, Staff Writer
Wise Words
CHS teachers share some words of advice for graduation seniors.
Philla Cowser, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Stressin’ Around the Holidays

Junior+Abigail+Ballard+studying+for+APush+during+the+week+after+finishing+up+her+Engish+homework+in+Mrs.+Dorriss+class.+
Hailey Bolen
Junior Abigail Ballard studying for APush during the week after finishing up her Engish homework in Mrs. Dorris’s class.

As students roll back into school after Thanksgiving break, the final weeks of the fall semester, start to worry some students, especially regarding semester exams. These exams will occur on the last week of school, December 15th and 18th. Many students had plenty of time to physically and mentally prepare for the exams, while others say that they will study last minute this year. 

As students prepare for exams, Carterville High School senior Sarah Hartke talks about her experience with these finals by discussing tricks and tips for studying. “My biggest tip to pass a class is to set out a schedule for studying. Study for 30 minutes and then take breaks between each class you study for.” By doing this, it helps with student’s mental health by being able to understand what’s going on in each class. She says, “Don’t stress, and no teacher wants you to fail. Therefore, they will always help you with any questions you have. Ask away, and don’t be afraid to ask for advice on what to study for.” These exams will be the second to last final exam for the class of 2024.. 

Karlie Jeralds is a sophomore, who is preparing for her final exams in her classes this year. Jeralds said, “staying consistent with studying. Extracurriculars can make exams more stressful because of how much preparation goes into them. However, having a break right after exams feels very motivating.” Keeping up with assignments, studying for tests, and staying motivated are the biggest factors for passing your classes this semester. Jeralds recommends making a Quizlet for students for classes to prepare for final exams. 

During this horrid week, a drink/snack bar will be set up for students to use to try and boost their energy as they take the test. Good luck to everyone taking final exams, and have a happy holiday season!