It Isn’t Over Yet: Softball Seniors Continue their Athletic Careers

Paige Mausey

Allie Stewart stands at the place during a game her junior season. Stewart has been on the team the past four years, and will play next year at Greenville University.

Kayce Glenn, Staff Writer

The Carterville softball program has proved its success with a high number of players continuing their athletic career at the collegiate level. The team has been known for their success throughout their seasons, especially in the recent years. During the 2022 season, the team had both a winning record and multiple players chosen to play for the “All-State ” team. After finishing up their junior season, five of the seniors have signed to play at their future colleges. 

Sadie Ziegler has officially committed to playing at South Western Illinois College (SWIC) in Belleville, Illinois. In college, she will be a slapper and center fielder. Ziegler has been a part of the varsity team since she moved here freshman year. “Going through high school in the softball program has made me a better person not only on the field but also in the classroom. I have made several friends along the way and learned to be a true teammate” said Ziegler. 

Alongside Ziegler, Katie Keirn will also be attending SWIC to continue her athletic career. Keirn has been a dominant pitcher since the Jr. High team, and has continued pitching at the high school level. After an ACL injury during her sophomore year, Keirn had to persevere through the obstacles, and get better for the sake of the team. “The softball program has taught me the values of being a great teammate no matter what your role is. I am super excited to have the opportunity to pay at the next level. It is something I dream of as a kid and I cannot wait” said Keirn. 

Keirn is not the only pitcher who has made it to the next level, Allie Stewart has earned her spot on the Greenville University softball team. Stewart has played for Carterville since her sixth grade year, and will play for an additional four years at the Division III school. Stewart has been a third baseman and a pitcher during her high school career, but potentially might catch in college. 

Additionally to these three athletes, Kayelyn Rice will be attending McKendree University, a Division II school. Rice has filled the position of an outfielder, while also being a slapper. Rice has been a crucial part of the team with her speed and agility.

The final senior who has committed is Hunter Noto, the starting shortstop for the past four years. Noto has been accepted into the Division I school, University of Health Science and Pharmacy in St. Louis. She has always been a crucial part to the Carterville softball team, and will continue her career for the next four years. 

The softball program is extremely proud of all of the players and is excited to see how far each player will go. Head coach Will Capie has been coaching for the past 14 years, and is preparing to watch the seniors leave. “It’s been a privilege to coach these young ladies. Continuing their academic and athletic careers at the next level is a rare opportunity that a vast majority of high school athletes do not get to experience. I look forward to coaching them one final season and following them throughout their collegiate careers” said Capie.

While the seniors’ careers will be coming to a close, the girls plan to finish their last season on the field with a high note. With open-gyms already starting to kick off the season, the team will cherish their last few games on the Carterville field. Their first game will be March 18 at 11:00 am at Livingston Central (KY). Make sure to go support these seniors in their journey as they move on to the next milestone in their softball careers.