The Return of The Pride of The Lions

The+Pride+of+The+Lions+Marching+Band+perform+the+National+Anthem+and+School+Song+at+all+the+home+football+games.+

The Pride of The Lions Marching Band perform the National Anthem and School Song at all the home football games.

Fallon Carney, Staff Editor

The CHS Marching Band is under new direction following the departure of Mr. Andy Nash. This year, the Pride of the Lions welcomed Mrs. Sarah Braddock as director. Mrs. Braddock is a former graduate of Carterville High School and has returned to continue her CHS career. 

Leading the marching band this year, alongside Mrs. Braddock, are drum majors seniors Alison Bledsoe and Paige Riedy. Bledsoe and Riedy have been members of the Carterville band programs for the past eight years and truly think it’s an honor to be drum majors. 

Bledsoe stated “Being drum major is very stressful but loads of fun. I have wanted this role since I first entered marching band my freshman year. It was my biggest dream ever since.” Bledsoe and Riedy assist with tasks such as helping younger members with their marching and conducting the band during performances.  

The marching band is preparing for multiple appearances throughout the year. Aside from their in season competitions, the Pride of the Lions can be seen in multiple parades throughout the surrounding towns and at home football games. 

Bledsoe, along with many other members, are looking forward to competitions as well as games and parades. Bledsoe said, “I hope this year we can continue to improve our field show and maybe even take home some trophies!” 

The band will be present at Murphysboro Drums at AppleTime, SIU Music in Motion, the Effingham Invitational, the Newton Classic, Pinckneyville Mardi Gras, and the Carbondale Lights Fantastic Event and Parade. 

Sophomore Abbey Dorsey said “I’m excited to see how we advance throughout the season and hope to bring some trophies home.” Dorsey and many others are looking forward to the start of the season to show everyone their show. Dorsey is also looking forward to playing at the football games and marching in parades.

The Pride of the Lions have been working on their field show since before the start of school. This year’s field show is “Above and Beyond”, a space themed show. The Pride of the Lions’ show can be seen during halftime of the home football games!