The Return of Power Hour

Students+sit+in+the+cafeteria+eating+and+socializing+with+their+friends.+Students+are+able+to+sit+wherever+with+whoever%2C+and+get+an+entire+hour+of+freedom.+

Students sit in the cafeteria eating and socializing with their friends. Students are able to sit wherever with whoever, and get an entire hour of freedom.

Kayce Glenn, Staff Writer

Starting the third week of school, CHS announced that Power Hour will be returning. Some students are excited to be able to have a one-hour lunch three days a week, while others are still forming opinions about this new routine. During Power Hour, students are able to enjoy an hour spent how they want, from simply socializing with friends, meeting with teachers, going to club meetings, making up tests, eating, or studying. Students can sit in their chosen areas, like the cafeteria, hallway, or gyms. Many are ecstatic to have this tradition back, and others are less appealed. 

Junior Ava Vasicek is for this change. “I do not have to shovel food in my mouth, I can eat and socialize.” Having an hour to eat lunch, and not having to rush to eat is a benefit of Power Hour. Long lunch lines can be time-consuming, giving less time to eat. Agreeing with Vasicek,  junior Megan Fleege continues, “I can see my senior and sophomore friends all in one place.”  

This can be compared to other students who are not completely in love with the idea of this chaotic time. Some students like the idea of having their lunch to relax, which can be hard due to the noise level and busyness. Junior Danielle Scott said, “I do not like Power Hour. The separate lunches make everything easier and are much quieter.” 

Unlike the other classes, only the seniors have gotten this experience. Back in 2019, all the grades ate their lunch in harmony, and disappointment was felt when it did not return the following year. 

Another student, junior Zech Miller agrees that Power Hour is a good thing and enjoys the fact that he is “reunited with his boy Alex Kimbrough and the gang.” 

After finding a routine and a location to sit and socialize, students will adapt to this exciting adjustment. Last year, students were only able to eat for thirty minutes on top of figuring out how to eat during a club. This year, some clubs are able to meet for the full hour or students can attend two meetings without interrupting their advisory period.

On Mondays and Fridays, students will still attend their advisory classes to get the weekly scoop and agenda, but on the other three days, students will have the privilege of a one-hour break and lunch. While for many students, this change will take some getting used to, others are excited to break out into this schedule and get the routine started.