Senior Night Sends Anna Packing

Regan Eigenrauch, Sports Reporter

CARTERVILLE – Lady Lions soccer faced off against the Anna-Jonesboro Wildcats last night, leaving the field with a 4-0 win. Last night’s game was also senior night where the four seniors, Sydney Stuck, Audri Strothman, Amanda Howerton, and Deidra Rogers, were recognized. 

The game started with a kickoff from Strothman. In the ninth minute, the Lions made a break and Strothman assisted freshman Madison Shaw for the first goal of the game. Minutes later, Strothman went 3-on-1 with two defenders and a goalie and came out on top. With Sthrothmans goal the score was 2-0 Lions.

Once again, at the 18th minute, sophomore Hillary Siemer made a goal from the 20 yard line. Neither Lions nor Wildcats scored making the halftime score 3-0 Lions.

The rest of the second half was back-and-forth between the two teams. At the 65th minute, the Lions made a goalie change and put junior Hannah Tran in for Stuck. Stuck was put on offense where her teammates got her the ball with the intent to score. However this was not successful and the score stayed 3-0 until Howerton’s penalty kick at the 72nd minute. The Lions finish the game with a 4-0 win.

Though the Lions seemed to have had control of the game by the score, the Wildcats kept them on their toes. The A-J goalie had a number of saves, and the ball did not stay one sided. 

The Lady Lions will play again on May 18 at Centralia against Olney at 6:00 P.M. for the first round of IHSA regionals. If you wish to keep up with the Lady Lions in their postseason as well as the other spring sports check us out @CartervileAth on Instagram and Twitter.