Baseball Splits Saturday Round Robin

Aaron Streuter, Sport Reporter

CARTERVILLE – The Lions took a rough 8-0 loss thanks to excellent pitching, hitting, and defensive play from Tolono Unity, but were able to bounce back in the second game with a 5-3 win against Carbondale.

Senior Zach Banovz got the start on the bump for the Lions for game one. After hitting the first batter of the game, he pulled himself together and lasted a total of three full innings allowing one run from Tolono.

In the top of the fourth, Banovz kept pushing and allowed another run to score. Blake Barnard then came in from second base to relieve Banovz. 

Pitching the rest of the fourth and the entire fifth inning, Barnard allowed Tolono to score four more runs for a 6-0 lead.

Going into the top of the sixth inning and trying to prevent any more runs from Tolono, Braden Wright came into the game to relieve Barnard. 

Pitching the rest of the game, Wright threw the first and only two strikeouts for Carterville. Unfortunately, he allowed two more runs and the game ended in an 8-0 loss for the Lions.

In game two of the doubleheader, freshman Drew Barrington got the start for the Lions. With two strikeouts, Barrington went three full innings and only allowed five hits and two runs. 

Heading into the fourth inning, Brady Phillips came into the game to relieve Barrington.

Phillips went on to pitch the rest of the game with an outstanding seven strikeouts and only allowing two hits and one run.

With five total hits from Carterville, two errors made by Carbondale, and all of the great base running the Lions took a 5-3 win over Carbondale.

To stay updated on Carterville sports follow @Cartervilleath on Instagram and Twitter.