Lady Lions Round Out Successful Winter Seasons

Fallon Carney, Staff Editor

The Lady Lions winter sports teams have had an incredible year this year. The cheer team made their sixth straight appearance at the IHSA State Competition. The 2021 IDTA State Pom Dance Team Champions returned to the state competition. The Lady Lions bowling team had three bowlers qualify for sectionals, as well as the girls basketball team won the regional championship and made it to the elite eight. 

Carterville cheer is pretty well-known at the IHSA State Cheer Competition. With this year being Coach Linda Drust’s seventh-consecutive IHSA State appearance, it was no doubt that Carterville cheer would be ranked high amongst the Small Varsity Division in the state of Illinois. This year’s trip to Bloomington looked very different from years past. With a very powerful snow storm expected to head into SoIL the day of the girls departure, as well as speculations that the competition could be postponed, Coach Drust was forced to leave later than expected. 

With wanting to be prepared for any outcome, Coach Drust decided that it would be safer for the cheer parents to drive their girls instead of taking a bus together. After arriving in Bloomington, the team gathered together in the hotel for another great state weekend. The girls performed one the first day of competition and made it in the top 10 to compete the following day. The cheerleaders, led by senior Madison Meyer, finished 3rd place in the state.

The Carterville Cheer team after winning 3rd Place at the State Competition in Bloomington.

New Coach Lori Smith and her team of young dancers made their second straight appearance at the IDTA State Competition this year. With last year’s competition season being completely virtual, the Poms team was more than excited to be back in person. Sophomore Adyson Shepard said she has “learned so much through the dance team. Everyone is so supportive and it’s a great positive influence in my life.”

The Poms team then traveled up to Springfield to compete in the category of AA Kick. After a lot of practice and dedication, the girls finished 3rd in the state. Seniors Kaelin Rowland and Gracie Mitchell also competed in the state competition with senior solos. Mitchell said “ever since freshman year, I had the goal of competing a solo at state. When I heard my name qualify for day 2 I was beyond excited! Finishing top 10 is something I will always remember! I am very thankful for the coaches and my teammates who helped me throughout the season!” Mitchell was the first dancer to finish in the Top 10 in school history.

Gracie Mitchell was the first dancer in Carterville History to earn a stop in the top 10 at IDTA State.

The Lady Lions bowling team’s season also concluded on a high note. Juniors Emily Swain, Madison Eigenrauch, and Sophomore Adrianna Bird all advanced to sectionals this season. Junior Emily Swain gave her thoughts on the season, saying “my team did an amazing job this year. We have accomplished many things together including having a new high score game and advancing to sectionals.”

Sadly none advanced past the regional competition, but all were pleased with how this season concluded. Swain expressed her excitement by saying, “I can’t wait for next year. I am excited to have another great year with my teammates.” 

Madison Eigenrauch, Emily Swain, and Adriana Bird with Coach Batchelor and Coach Kirchner.

The girls basketball team has also had a very successful season. Finishing the season as Sectional Champs, Regional Champs, and making it to the Elite Eight, this young team is pleased with how their season went.

Senior Kasha Ward said, “basketball has always been a huge part of my life. In the past four years I have been so lucky to be able to play for such an amazing team. We have accomplished more than I ever could’ve imagined, with multiple post season runs, a trip to state, and finishing with exactly 100 wins over 4 years. I owe it all to my teammates and coaches for always supporting me, and helping me make memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life.” The Lady Lions Basketball team’s season ended with a tough loss against Pana during the Super-Sectionals.

The girls basketball team after winning the Benton Christmas Classic, one of many accomplishes from this season.

Overall, the Lady Lions have really shined this season. All have had great seasons and are starting preparations for their next season.