Lions Fall Just Short to the Panthers

Maryn Vaughn, Sport Reporter

CARTERVILLE – The Carterville Lions lost to the Pinckneyville Panthers, 48-55, in a Thursday night regular-season game.

Before the game, the 2022 senior athletes were recognized in front of a roaring Lion crowd.

Head Coach Shane Hawkins took the Senior Night opportunity to start his three seniors, Chris Clover, Townsend Barton, and John Stroud.

The tipoff started in the possession of the Panthers who converted a quick basket to gain the early lead. Barton responded with a basket of his own to lessen the momentum.

Caden Hawkins followed up with a basket which made the score 4-7, Panthers leading, early in the 1st quarter.

After a back and forth 1st quarter the score read 10-10.

The 2nd quarter started with a flashy layup by Hawkins followed by a Panther basket. After back-to-back baskets from the Panthers, Cade Lustenberger was fouled and added two points to the scoreboard to bring the Lion to lead to 17-16.

Hawkins contributed a 3-point basket to the Lion lead, followed by a basket from Pinckneyville’s Adcock.

In return, Hawkins challenged the Panthers rising score with a jumper of his own.

At the midway point, the Lions held a slim lead, 25-23.

The 2nd half began with a quick 3-point basket from Lustenberger paired with a bucket from Hawkins. The Panthers acknowledged the early lead with a basket from Adcock and Launius, adding back-to-back layups for the Panthers.

Barton battled back with a shot right off the glass for the Lions, but the Panthers refused to stop their scoring run with a fast-break steal to add 2 points right back.

Heading into the final 8 minutes of play, the Lions held a slim 39-38 lead.

The Panthers began the 4th quarter with a basket, finally creating a lead for Pinckneyville. It didn’t last long though; Lustenberger shut them down with a jumper of his own.

A fast-break steal from Hawkins allowed for a basket from Peyton Bittle, making the score 47-43 with a Panther lead. That wasn’t enough to stop Bittle as he made a long 3-point basket. Coach Hawkins took a quick timeout with the score in favor of the Panthers, 46-47.

The Panthers continued their lead throughout the remainder of the game finishing with a Panther win, 48-55.

The three Senior Lions said they were “thankful for an intense last game [and] everything they have learned from [their] high school basketball careers.”

If you wish to keep up with the rest of Carterville’s sports be sure to check us out on Instagram and Twitter @CartervilleAth.