More Than Just a Book

Paige Meyer (12) fans Fallon Carney (11) with a sign encouraging students and staff to buy a yearbook.

Paige Mausey, Staff Editor

Many students at CHS are under the impression that the publications class simply just creates the yearbook. In fact, many students within the school believe the yearbook is created through a club, but the class is much more than what it appears from the outside.

Carterville High School Publications Class has many working parts behind the scenes that are needed to create the yearbook. Along with creating the yearbook, the class produces exceptional articles that are published to the online school newspaper (The Sphinx). 

The 2021-2022 publications staff has already undergone several challenges with creating a well-working, productive environment. With a new yearbook program being introduced to the class, only four returning staff members, and Mrs. Dorris being on maternity leave for the first quarter, the class has done a good job getting the hang of things. Sophomore Philla Cowser shares her initial thoughts on the class by saying, “I am excited to be more involved this year by participating in this new experience.”

Additionally, junior editor Kayce Glenn has been a part of the staff for the last three years. This year she is yearbook chief editor. She has done a phenomenal job keeping the class running as smooth as possible. Glenn describes her experience as, “Honestly, publications has been so much fun. I’ve learned a lot about responsibility and time management. I’ve also made friends with new people that I thought I would never talk to.” In hopes of creating future friendships, Glenn plans to continue her commitment to the class throughout the entirety of her high school career.

Fallon Carney is also a junior and has been a part of the class for the last three years. She was given the photography editor position for the yearbook this year. Carney expands on her role in the class by saying, “As this year’s photography editor, I have learned that much responsibility comes with the title. I have to make sure the class knows what events are happening throughout the week, when they are occurring, and where they are being held. I also have to make sure the quality of our photos are up to our yearbook standards.” 

Junior Paige Mausey and senior Madeline Liss also returned to the class this year. Liss is newspaper editor and Mausey is design editor for the yearbook. Liss is not only in charge of editing articles for the newspaper, but she also is the class’ go-to for help with body copies, captions, and quotes for the yearbook. Liss said, “I enjoy being a newspaper editor because I get to help other people develop their ideas. Making sure the articles posted on The Sphinx are top quality is also a big part of my editorial responsibility.”

In order to help with the functionality of the class, staff members sell pizzas, cookie dough, and butter braids in an annual fundraiser. Ads are also sold to local businesses that are then featured in the Carterville High School yearbook and newspaper. Following the ad sales, the class sends out many thank you cards to the businesses that showed their generosity. 

The CHS publications staff is more than just a class that fills a spot on a schedule. It can create a close-knit group of students that feels more like a family, if taken up on the opportunity. The more teamwork there is, the better the class functions.