Leadership, Service, Character, and Scholarship: Outstanding Students at CHS

Julia Stroud

New member, Annie Mitchell, smiles for the camera during the Tri-c Elementary STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics) while working at the gummy rocket building station.

Julia Stroud, Staff Writer

NHS interviewee’s anxiously awaited decisions from a select panel of teachers chosen to evaluate students on the four pillars of society for NHS. The teachers chose members from a long list of applicants who went in for interviews all throughout the school day on Tuesday, February 4th. By that Friday, all new members and soon to be inductees gathered with the old members to call together their first meeting. The twenty-three new members celebrated their new membership in the community room with cookies and refreshments as an opportunity to get caught up on the fast paced service projects already in motion in the club.

NHS President Madison Fleege said she was “excited to have so many new people with a willingness and ability to serve and lead join the club.” Madison, along with the other fourteen members, helped welcome the new members during the meeting and gave them a rundown of the current service projects. New member Annabelle Barnstable expressed that she, “cannot wait to help with the trivia night fundraiser” planned my NHS members for March 27. People interested in attending this fundraiser should email [email protected] for more information. 

The induction ceremony for the new members will take place on March 5th, open to the parents of both current members and inductees. The induction will be comprised of a speaker, reflection of the four pillars, and the official induction of all twenty-three new members. Current member, Delayna Lutcha, is responsible for announcing the pillar of leadership; “I think leadership comes with the service part of NHS. In order to serve and make the biggest impact possible through your service, there needs to be people who can lead and organize what’s going on,” said Lutchka about the importance of the leadership pillar. 

One other crucial aspect of the induction ceremony is the keynote speaker. Selected by the students apart of NHS, the speaker reflects and builds on one of the four pillars of the club. This year’s keynote speaker, Mary Stoner, will speak on the pillar of service, one of the most important activities of the club’s engagement.  Mary Stoner is the director of the community library, Anne West Lindsey Library. She often creates numerous service opportunities for any members looking for how they can serve. 

President Madison Fleege looks forward to her last semester of high school as part of the club; Madison explains, “All the members of NHS, current and inductees, are looking forward to what we have planned for the club. I hope all the members of NHS become walking examples of the four pillars our club holds so important, leadership, service, character, and scholarship.”