Miracle on West Grand Avenue

Chloe Finn, Staff Writer

CHS’ 2019 Fall Play was the classic 1940s Christmas play of Miracle on 34th Street. The play had school matinees Thursday the 21st and Friday the 22nd with public performances on Saturday, November 23rd and Sunday, November 24th. However, the cast and crew have been working on the show for months.

The show was under the direction of Joshua Hall and Gabriel Herbst with the leads being seniors Toby Beyke, Ben Konvalinka, and Makenzie Henton. 

With the leads being seniors this year, the last performance was very emotional and bittersweet for all of the seniors involved. Before their last performance, the seniors gathered together for the last time before their last show and played their senior song. When asked about his last show, Senior Ben Konvalinka said, “It was very bittersweet as we put together a very good production but I’m not going to be able to experience another show at the high school”. 

Many juniors and underclassmen also made the show one to remember, Junior Annabelle Barnstable played the role of one of the Christmas elves. When asked about her experience with the play, she replied by saying, “My favorite part about being in the play is the new people I get to meet. Especially the freshman class that I am unfamiliar with”. The play is a great opportunity for students to get involved and meet new people. When asked about her favorite memory from this year she said, “The TikToks we made backstage.”

This year’s production was unique due to the significant amount of seniors involved in the play. Seniors filled the auditorium from positions in the light booth, costumes, hair & makeup, and stage crew. Senior Toby Beyke summed up the seniors’ thoughts perfectly when saying, “It’s hard to think of a better play to finish up your high school years with. It’s a great tale of love and hope for the future; something we all could use.”