Freshman Year Advice

Back to Article
Back to Article

Freshman Year Advice

Julie Walder, Staff Writer

Your first year of high school can be difficult. High school is so different than Jr. high. There’s more homework, studying, and so many more. These are some advice for freshman year.

Keep a planner. For every class, if you have homework or a test coming up, write it down so you don’t forget. When you check your grades, write them down in the notes. This can also be a good place to write down your schedule.

A major thing is to study. Even if you think you have studied enough, you probably didn’t. You really don’t want to fail any tests. The more you fail assignments, the more your grade will drop. Use any extra time that you have to study. It will be helpful in the end.

High school can be a difficult time for many students. Not causing gossip is a good way to make it a little less difficult. Miss Hempen, the English I and AP English teacher says, “If you have seen Madagascar, the penguins say ‘just smile and wave’. That’s one of the best things to do. Just smile and wave. Don’t cause gossip.”

You can make high school amazing as long as you stay positive. Join sports and clubs. Your freshman year will be good, as long as you make it that way.

About the Writer
Julie Walder, Staff Writer

Julie moved here a year ago from the New Orleans area. Her and her family moved here because her father's work transferred them to Illinois. She has only...

The Student News Site of Carterville High School
Freshman Year Advice