Shrek the Musical

Julia Stroud, Staff Writer

This year’s spring production, Shrek The Musical, took place on Friday, April 20 and Saturday, April 21. The Shrektastic performance by the cast and crew was all ran by the director, Lauren Arnett, along with an orchestra conducted by Dannyel Norrington.

The cast was filled by some of Carterville High School’s most talented students. Shrek was portrayed by senior Garrett James and Fiona was portrayed by junior Lily Jones. Senior Kyler Ogden played the part of Donkey, Shrek’s noble steed throughout their adventures. Senior Bennett Speith brought Lord Farquaad’s character to life in his Dulocian Kingdom. Some more mentionable roles include senior Kaity Hixson as Pinocchio and junior Alexa Bose as Dragon and the Sugar Plum Fairy. Sophomore Zoe Zimbro joined the cast as Gingy for her first musical with Carterville High School. Out of the ten other productions Zoe has been apart of outside of school, she claims this was one of her favorites. “I really enjoyed being apart of such an amazing cast and I could not have asked for a better part than Gingy.” Zoe plans to be a part of the musical productions during her junior and senior years as well.

Seniors Hannah Hooks and Lexi Wilkey led the crew as stage managers for the musical. This show was Hannah’s eighth show at Carterville High School and her second show as stage manager. This was also Lexi’s second production as stage manager along with three more shows as a part of crew throughout her high school experience. Hannah enjoys assisting in the creation of these stunning productions, “People don’t really understand how much time and effort is put into the shows put on by CHS, so it is really neat to be apart of the creative masterminds that bring the show to life.”
Overall this year’s spring musical was a huge success with the community and schools. The wonderful cast included many very talented seniors who will be missed for next year’s spring musical.