Carterville High School Giving Back

Myah Richards, Head Editor

For the spring semester, Carterville High School students were put to the challenge to give back to their community. All enrichment classes at CHS were asked to create a service project to better their school or community. Students and teachers put their heads together trying to conduct a way to contribute to society.

Mrs. Webb’s class collected toys to give to children less fortunate. Many classes donated food to local food pantries and shelters. Mrs. Schoonover’s class collected non-perishable food items along with paper goods to donate to the Lighthouse Shelter in Marion (pictured below).  

Other classes decided to donate their time at the high school as Mr. Wakey’s class picked up trash outside of the school to better the property. The members of SLC, decided to give the students of CHS a confidence boost by writing positive messages on placing them on every locker. Mr. Dunn’s class decided to host a school supplies drive for the students of CHS. Students in the class donated new, or used, school supplies for students to use during the 2018-2019 school year! If not able to donate physical supplies, students were able to donate money to help purchase supplies for the drive. He claims that “I am really proud of my students for taking charge like they did. Their project was a success, and then some!”. Along with the school supplies drive (pictured below), students went around town writing inspirational quotes for the townspeople to see, as well as the students of CHS.

Many students decided that they wanted their impact to go beyond Southern Illinois. Both Mrs. Tyner and Mr. Ruiz’s enrichment classes wrote letters and thank you notes to soldiers and veterans around the country to thank them for their service! Ms. Owen’s class also donated two hundred dollars to donate to St. Jude hospital for cancer research.

Mrs. Gibbs’ class definitely met the challenge. Her students constructed a fundraiser for the women’s shelter. Students of CHS were able to purchase tickets to pie their favorite (or not) teacher in the face! The fundraiser was a success as the funds ran high to donate to the women’s shelter.

Students who participated in the January/February Community PBIS challenge, will be rewarded by being able to watch a movie in the auditorium on March 29th. We applaud all of the students who donated goods, money, and their time to such great causes. We thank you!