Lucas STARver’s Road to Success … & State!

Hannah Hooks, Staff Writer

Lucas Sarver? More like Lucas STARver! It is obvious that Senior wrestler Lucas Sarver had a tremendous 2017- 2018 wrestling season, compiling a record of 25 wins with only 3 losses. While reflecting on Sarver’s season, Head Coach Alejandro Ruiz couldn’t help but smile from ear to ear. “Lucas was the hardest worker we had in the practice room and he committed a lot of his time in the weight room. Those two things are crucial for this sport. He definitely stood out,” Ruiz explained.

Sarver has been on the Lions’ varsity wrestling team since his Freshman year, but looking back on his career, he said his Senior year is one he will never forget. Due to the continuous hardwork and dedication he showed throughout the season, Sarver earned an elite spot on the mats at the IHSA State Wrestling Tournament. On February 15th through the 17th, located in Champaign, Illinois, Saver displayed his skills in hopes of bringing back home a state title. After a close match against Central Prairie, Sarver’s wrestling season came to a close. Leaving the State Tournament without a medal, Sarver still remained one of the best wrestlers in our region. “State honestly had me nervous due to the fact I have never went through something as incredible as that, but overall it was a great experience and I would love to see the rest of the guys make it to State as well,” Sarver explained.

When asked to reflect on his time at State, Sarver admitted that getting there was difficult task, but in the end, it was all worth it. On February 3, 2018, Sarver placed 1st at the IHSA Regional Wrestling Tournament. He advanced and finished 2nd place at the IHSA Sectional Wrestling Tournament, which took place on the 9th and 10th of February, 2018. With these victories, Sarver joined a small number of Carterville wrestlers ever to place this high at Sectionals. Making it all of the way to State was only one of the many accomplishments Sarver achieved his Senior year.

On behalf of Assistant Coaches Aaron Melvin and Daniel Halderman, Coach Ruiz expressed that he would like Lucas Sarver to know how proud he is of his successful season. “I just want him to apply what he learned from wrestling to life. If he continues to work hard, and remains dedicated and disciplined, then he is going to achieve a lot,” Ruiz emphasized. Congratulations to Lucas, the coaches, and the Lions wrestling team on another successful year!