Sixteenth Annual Valentine’s Day Banquet at CHS

Julia Stroud, Staff Writer

The sixteenth annual Valentine’s Day Banquet occurred on February 16th at Carterville High School. 170 senior citizens attended the event hosted by Carterville High School students. The students aided with valet parking, escorting, and serving the guests.  FCCLA, Lifesavers, Interact Club, Student Leadership Council and Spanish Foreign Language Club were a few clubs who helped assist the guests. The event was ran by Carterville High School’s Student Council and their leaders Kelly Taylor and Heather Webb.

The festivities began in the school’s auditorium, with a performance by Carterville High School’s band directed by Nicholas Williams.  Following the band’s performance, the guests were given a sneak peek into Shrek the Musical. The cast presented two pieces from the musical for the guests in attendance.  The choir also performed one of their signature pieces “The Evolution of Music” by Pentatonix. The guests were then escorted to the cafeteria for lunch. Lunch was followed by a series of raffles to give away the centerpieces made by the CHS Art Club.

Junior Annika Jansen, one of many students who served, claimed the banquet “was an amazing opportunity to serve members of the community.” She is excited to help during her senior year with the seventeenth Annual Valentine’s Day Banquet.  Senior and Student Council President Brock Mills stated, “I’m really proud of the the students who put in a lot of hard work. I’m a proud boy.” Thanks to the numerous volunteers from the staff and student body, the sixteenth Annual Valentine’s Day Banquet was a success.