Categories:

Igniting Enthusiasm

Carterville High School Spirit teams leave a lasting impression on Homecoming 2024.
Hayden Harmon (10), Annalise Blumenstien (9), Lynzee Crespi (12), and Emma Burzynski (11) all perform school song at the Homecoming game.
Mrs. Dorris

As Homecoming week came to a close, many Carterville High School spirit team members felt the pressure during the last two days. Between the parade, pep rally, and football game, school spirit is at its highest, which means spirit teams must match that level. “I loved being able to make memories with my teammates this year, and Homecoming week brought me even closer to the girls on my team,” said junior Avery Chapman.

To start off the festivities, spirit team members walked in the Homecoming parade. Due to the forecast this year, the parade was moved to Thursday rather than the normal Friday schedule. However, cheer, dance, and band all made the most out of the situation. Evan Miranti, a sophomore in band, said that “It was really important to keep everybody enthusiastic and excited. The drum majors, Emilie Hanley and Karlie Jeralds, did a great job at keeping everyone upbeat and looking forward to marching.”

After the parade, on Friday, came the pep rally. As many students waited with anticipation in class, spirit teams worked hard to bring the best performances. The performances did not start that day, though. Emerson Scherschel, a junior cheer team member, revealed that they started their routine “the week after school started, so the week of tryouts.”

The pep rally consisted of many different games, routines, and school rituals. The senior class won the spirit stick and everyone left the building that day ready to enjoy the last moments of Homecoming.

That night, the Homecoming football game against West Frankfort took place, and it was one for the books. Not only was it a close score of 21-16 Lions, but the game lasted longer than anticipated. A rain delay in the 1st quarter lasting 2 hours sent many home or inside to take cover. When the game resumed, both cheer and dance stayed till the end, around 11 P.M. “I had a lot of fun during the rain delay because we came inside and hung out. We ordered pizza and talked about Homecoming, and how we were all excited for it. Although we were there late, my teammates and coaches made things fun” said sophomore dance team member Anastasia Pilz.

Homecoming may have looked different this year, but it did not stop the school pride from shining through. While spirit team members are there to guide, the ultimate source is the student body, and the amount Carterville students brought was beyond.

“Homecoming week was a blast! Between Dance’s opening routine and collaborating with cheer for Thunderstruck- we got the crowd ready for the game! These girls worked hard and it paid off!” said assistant Dance team coach Elisha Sharpe. 

The impact that spirit teams have on Homecoming is substantial, and it makes a difference on the whole week. 

The dance team hits their last move at the pep rally after their performance. (Aiyana Williams)
The band performs at Meet the Lions, held earlier in the school year. (Abby Hovenga)
About the Contributors
Marlee Rosenbery
Marlee Rosenbery, Staff Writer
Marlee is a junior at Carterville High School. She is on the school dance team and is involved in numerous clubs such as Student Council, Educators Rising, Student Leadership Council, and Interact Club. In her future, she wants to study Elementary Education and become a teacher.
Aiyana Williams
Aiyana Williams, Staff Writer
Aiyana Williams is a  senior at Carterville High school. She participates in various clubs such as FBLA, Spanish club, FCCLA, Youth and Government and more. She also participates in Track and Field. She enjoys listening to music, trying new things, and traveling. In her future, she wants to be involved in law and business.
Abby Hovenga
Abby Hovenga, Staff Writer
Abby Hovenga is a freshman at Carterville High School. Abby is trying to get into multiple clubs here at CHS such as Student Leadership Council, Interact Club, and Carterville Crazies. She likes hiking, playing pool with her dad, and hanging out with friends. Her favorite drink is sweet tea and her favorite snack is Doritos, although it changes all the time. She also has a cat named Elsa, because she loves cats.