Categories:

Lions Overcome The Red Devils- An Upset Under The Lights

CARTERVILLE – On Tuesday, September 24, the Carterville Lions took on their conference leaders, the Murphysboro Red Devils. Despite being an underdog, the communication and leadership from the Lions executed a 5-1 victory and solidified their presence in a tough conference.

The Red Devils kicked off the night with an aggressive goal early in the first half, taking an early 1-0 lead. Atticus Applebee then took charge with a staggering performance, scoring 4 goals and highlighting the aspect of hard work. He recorded the Lion’s first goal off a penalty shot but didn’t stop there. Applebee scored 2 more continuous goals off the setups from his teammates, Alex Kimbrough and Keith Layson, obtaining a hat trick. Mason Reames assisted in the Lions dominating performance with an imposing goal, Applebee then ended the game with an additional shot and closed off his grand night, handing the Lions their victory.

The Lions will meet the Massac Patriots on September 26 on the opposing field. To keep up with Sports Reporting and our athletes follow us on @CartervilleAth!

About the Contributor
Max Richardson
Max Richardson, Sport Reporter
Max is a senior at Carterville High School. Max has an affinity for puppies and kittens, and is most notable amongst his peers for his role as Lord Capulet in Romeo & Juliet.