Categories:

Carterville Free Fair

The crowd at the Free Fair was entertained with  the activities, bounce houses, the cake walk, and even an ice cream eating contest.
The crowd at the Free Fair was entertained with the activities, bounce houses, the cake walk, and even an ice cream eating contest.
Lucy Gossett

It’s that time of year again, the local Free Fair comes to Carterville Cannon Park from September 1-6. 

The Free Fair has been a tradition of Carterville for several years, and there seems to be no end in sight. It is put on by The Carterville Lions Club, Heather Castlebery, and so many more members. Castlebery has been on the Lions Club and the Carterville Free Fair Pageant Director since she was 16. Castlebery said “The greatest aspect of being a Lion is the ability to make a positive difference in your community by serving alongside others with a heart for service!”

The Fair took place Sept. 4-7. With food, games, bounce houses, and even a pageant, there was something for all ages to enjoy. The Carterville Lions Club Free Fair Scholarship Pageant, held on Sunday September 1, consisted of three different age categories. Little Mr. and Little Miss Free Fair were for children aged 5-7, Jr. Miss was 8-13, Teen was 14-16, and Miss Free Fair was 17-22. 

This year, Junior Adelyn Horn was crowned as Teen Miss Carterville. Horn is now seen as a representative of the Carterville Lions club. She rode in the Free Fair parade on Saturday 7, 2024. Horn said  “I love how the Carterville Free Fair brings the community together and how the town of Carterville creates new memories together through the fair. I have really enjoyed being Miss Carterville Lions Club Teen so far and I love representing my community!”

As the fair itself, Carterville High School freshman Kendyl Bilderback, said “This year they went on a totally different route and had bouncy houses instead.”

She goes on to say, “I like going to the Carterville Free Fair because it is fun to ride the rides, especially the ones that spin a lot and go really high. I try to win the games but I don’t win anything, but I try my best.”  

Also, freshman Ruby Withers said, “It is a fun way to bring people together. It also has so many fun rides. I go with friends every time, hopefully it never ends.”

About the Contributor
Lucy Gossett
Lucy Gossett, Staff Writer
Lucy Gossett is a freshman at Carterville High School.  She has four siblings. She loves to play with her two- year old brother, and the rest of her siblings. This is Lucy's first year in High School Publications and is a staff member. Some of her hobbies are shopping, doing pageant, and spending time with her family. She is hoping to go to college, and become a teacher or a physical therapist.