Categories:

Lions Kick Through Pinckneyville: A Dominating First Win

CARTERVILLE – On Tuesday, September 17, the Lions soccer team faced the Pinckneyville Panthers in a non-conference matchup. The Lions grew confident in an anticipated game, looking to get their first win of the young season. In striking fashion, the leadership of the seniors stormed past the Panthers in a dominating 9-0 game to complete their trend as a growing team.

With roaring motivation, Alex Kimbrough started the Lions off with an influential goal five minutes into the game. Without time to rest, Keith Layson continued the swing to take the Lions up 2-0. Shortly after, Kimbrough moved down the field to score yet another goal and led the younger players into their first varsity game. The seniors still kicked off their commitment from the sideline, giving their advice and energy to the JV players. The constant pressure applied from the strikers was too much for Pinckneyville’s defensive unit. Goals from Justin Williams, Ameen Al-Zoubaidi, Atticus Applebee, Kaiser Layson, and Myer Talcou solidified Carterville’s win and ended the game via mercy rule.

The Lions gained their first win of season in roaring style. They will meet the Anna-Jonesboro Wildcats at 6:30 p.m. on September 19 in an away game.

To keep up with the boys soccer team and everything Carterville Athletics, follow us on Twitter/X and Instagram, @CartervilleAth.

About the Contributor
Max Richardson
Max Richardson, Sport Reporter
Max is a senior at Carterville High School. Max has an affinity for puppies and kittens, and is most notable amongst his peers for his role as Lord Capulet in Romeo & Juliet.