Categories:

Lions Soccer Ties with Harrisburg

Lions Soccer Ties with Harrisburg

CARTERVILLE – The Carterville Lions boys soccer played a conference matchup against the visiting Harrisburg Bulldogs on Thursday, September 12, which resulted in a 2-2 tie. The Lions led late, but were unable to pull it out in the end against a strong Bulldogs team.

The first half was a slow, low scoring affair. The Bulldogs scored the first goal of the game late into the half, leaving the Lions down 1-0 going into the second half.

This deficit didn’t last for long, however. Senior Keith Layson scored a momentous goal from out deep to tie the game back up at 1-1. Layson was the first to break through the strong Bulldogs defense, giving his team life. Later in the half, Zach Snow scored a short goal, giving the Lions the lead for the first time that game. This goal marked a milestone in the sophomore’s career as his first. Late into the second half, however, Harrisburg scored a goal that would leave the game tied, with both teams unable to respond, ending the game at 2-2.

The Lions set their sights on the Pinckneyville Panthers on Tuesday, September 17th. To follow along with all Carterville sports, follow @Cartervilleath on Twitter/X and Instagram.

About the Contributor
Maddox Gulley
Maddox Gulley, Sport Reporter
Maddox Gulley is a sophomore at Carterville High School. He competes on the golf and basketball teams while aspiring to be a writer someday. In his free time, he frequently refreshes the menu page on the Chili's website.