Categories:

Tuesday Ties

Tuesday Ties

CARTERVILLE- The Carterville Lions soccer team took on the Massac County Patriots which resulted in a last-minute tie, 2-2.

The game started out with Carterville dominating on both sides of the ball, with the Lions making the patriot defense work. Ultimately, Sophmore Oliver Burge started the night off for the Lions scoring a goal in the first five minutes to give the Lions the lead 1-0.

Nya Caraway

Soon after, Lions Senior Alex Kimbrough took the game into his own hands and scored giving the Lions the insurance they thought would be enough to hold off the Patriots for the rest of the half. Unfortunately for the Lions, Massac would get their first late-minute goal in the first half trying to inch their way back 1-2.

At the half, both teams would get the breather they both desperately needed. After the break, the game was back and forth with a couple of good incomplete scoring attempts from both teams, but the Patriots finally broke through the Lion defense and netted their second late-minute goal of the game tying it up with six minutes left to play.

Within those last six minutes, the Lions made one more attempt at the win, with two minutes left the ball was kicked in bounds right next to the goal, and Sophmore Zack Snow jumped up to head the ball in but the ball flew just a few inches too high hitting the crossbar making the goal attempt incomplete and ending the game in a tie 2-2.

Alex Lyell

The Carterville Lions’ soccer team will be playing this Thursday, (Sep 12) vs Harrisburg. To keep up with all things Carterville Athletics, be sure to follow us on Instagram and Twitter (X) @CartervilleAth.

About the Contributors
Alex Lyell
Alex Lyell, Sport Reporter
Alex Lyell is a junior at Carterville High School. He plays baseball and loves to hang out with friends. When he gets older, he wants to show his cat, Sweet Thang, the seven natural wonders of the world.
Nya Caraway
Nya Caraway, Sport Reporter
Anaiya (Nya) Caraway is a junior at Carterville High School. She is in her fourth year of marching band. She is a self-taught photographer of five years and hopes to continue photography after graduation. Nya is also deathly afraid of crickets, despite them being covered in chocolate and served as a Vietnamese delicacy.