Categories:

Lions Volleyball Takes Two Losses Wednesday Night

CARTERVILLE- The Carterville Lions volleyball team hosted a triangular match Wednesday night, inviting the Jackson, Mo. Indians and the Pinckneyville Panthers. The first game of the night was the Lions vs the Indians which ended in two quick sets 25-6 and 25-11. The Lions’ second game was against the Panthers

Adie Sykes

which ended up another Lion loss in three sets 25-15, 25-21, and 25-19.

Carterville vs Pinckneyville:

The Lions’ second game of the day against the Panthers started out slow for them. Carterville quickly got out to a four-point deficit and never seemed to be able to inch their way back to the red-hot Pinckneyville team. The Lions ended up losing the first set 25-15.

Adie Sykes

The second set served as a wakeup call for the Panthers with the Lions jumping out to a quick 3-0 lead giving them the confidence they needed. Carterville lost their grip on the Panthers, allowing them to claw their way back to a tied game 10-10. Finally, The rest of the set was back and forth until the Lions got the close set two win, 25-21.

The Lions forced a third set that seemed to be in favor of either team, but the Panthers gutted it out at the end to take the final set 25-19.

Carterville vs Jackson Mo

The Lions’ started their night off playing the Jackson Indians in a match that ended with a clean Indian sweep. The game started out and stayed in the Indians’ favor with the Lions struggling to catch up to the quick Indian offense. The first set ended at 25-6 Indians.

Adie Sykes

The second set was more of the same. The dominate Jackson team kept their foot on the gas and didn’t let off until the end. The second set ended in the Indians’ favor 25-11.

When asked how she stays motivated throughout a long day of volleyball, junior Taryn Ford says, “We all knew that we had to keep our heads high and be prepared for the next big game because thats all we could do.”

The Carterville Lions’ volleyball team will be playing next Thursday (Sep 12) at Du Quoin. To keep up with all things Carterville Athletics, be sure to follow us on Instagram and Twitter (X) @CartervilleAth.

About the Contributors
Alex Lyell
Alex Lyell, Sport Reporter
Alex Lyell is a junior at Carterville High School. He plays baseball and loves to hang out with friends. When he gets older, he wants to show his cat, Sweet Thang, the seven natural wonders of the world.
Adie Sykes
Adie Sykes, Sport Reporter
Adie is a sophomore at Carterville High School who competes on the basketball team. She spends most of her free time correcting people on how to properly spell her name.