Lady Lions Hand Bulldogs First Loss

Lady Lions Hand Bulldogs First Loss

CARTERVILLE – The Carterville Lady Lions basketball team took on the Harrisburg Bulldogs in an undefeated matchup that kept the crowd on their toes. Carterville went on to win 54-36.

The game started hot for the Lions as senior Amayah Doyle won the tip, which led Kennedy Rushing to give the Lady Lions an early 2-0 lead. The Lions went on to win the first quarter 11-9. In the second quarter, the Bulldogs started to push back with their offense; they scored twelve points to close the gap between themselves and the Lions, but it wasn’t enough as Carterville led going into the half 26-21.

After halftime, the Lions knew they had to change something, and they did as senior Hillary Siemer came for blood and made a three to distance her team from the Bulldogs, moving the score to 29-21. But soon enough, Harrisburg responded with a layup to pressure the lions, bringing their lead to 6 points, but sophomore Caidence Phillips didn’t feel it as she clapped back with an uncontested three, making the score  32-23. Thanks to later buckets from Siemer and Doyle, the Lions take the third quarter 42-30.  

Incredible defense from the Lions helped their fourth quarter go smoothly, only allowing 6 points while adding 12 for themselves. The Lady Lions stayed undefeated while bringing an end to Harrisburg’s perfect season with the final score of 54-36.

For more basketball and sports updates, follow @cartervilleath on Twitter and Instagram.

About the Contributors
Alex Lyell
Alex Lyell, Sports Reporter
Alex Lyell is a sophomore at Carterville High School. He plays baseball and loves to hang out with friends. When he gets older, he wants to be a math teacher.
Kenadi Compton
Kenadi Compton, Sport Reporter
Kenadi competes on the Carterville dance and track & field team. She enjoys unsweetened applesauce.