Doyle Pushes Her Way Through the Tigers

Doyle Pushes Her Way Through the Tigers

CARTERVILLE – The Lady Lions basketball team continued their winning streak and picked up their first conference win of the season last night with a 55-50 victory over the Herrin Tigers.

Sophomore Caidence Phillips started Carterville off with an early lead of 2-0, but it was not enough to scare the Tigers as they went on to take it back by a score of 7-2 before an early timeout from the Lions. Herrin kept this momentum throughout the first quarter, resulting in them leading 12-10 going into the second.

The rest of the game was all about senior Amaya Doyle. During the first play of the second quarter, she made a well-needed three-pointer to take the lead 13-12; then on the next play, she made a heavily contested layup to give them some room to breathe, but it ended up not being enough as the Tigers came back to lead going into halftime 24-22.

The third quarter was a turning point for the Lions as they stayed ahead most of the quarter after back-to-back-to-back clutch layups from Doyle, carrying them safely into the fourth quarter, where they would finally pull ahead from the Tigers after layups from Doyle, Phillips, and Kamari Jackson, making the score 51-42. the Carterville girls’ basketball team eventually went on to win their first conference game of the season, 55-50, and advancing their record to 7-0 on the year.

The Lady Lions will play again next week at Anna-Jonesboro at 6:15. For more basketball and sports updates, follow @Cartervilleath on Twitter and Instagram.

About the Contributor
Alex Lyell
Alex Lyell, Sports Reporter
Alex Lyell is a sophomore at Carterville High School. He plays baseball and loves to hang out with friends. When he gets older, he wants to be a math teacher.