Ingle Leads the Lions

Zech Miller, Sport Reporter

CARTERVILLE – Lions baseball started off the post season playing the Benton Rangers in the play-in game for regionals. The Lions advances over Benton with a final score of 3-1 and a fantastic outing by sophomore Logan Ingle on the bump.

Ingle pitched out of a bases-loaded jam in the top of the first and did not give up a single run. This sent the Lions to the plate with the momentum.

Senior Caden Hawkins smashed a double and was later driven in by Peyton Bittle for the first run of the game. 

In the third inning, senior Cade Bolin hit junior Payton Vanhorn to put the Lions up 2-0.

Ingle continued to work through the sixth inning, allowing one run and stranding some runners on base throughout the game.

The Lions came to bat in the sixth looking for some insurance runs. On a double steal, Hawkins was thrown out at third, but Bittle reached second base safely and was later driven in for the third run.

The Lions would move on to win this game and they would play Ziegler-Royalton on Wednesday.

After the game Ingle told us that he “felt great with Payton [Van Horn] behind the plate, and having the team trust [him] to get through the game.”

To follow more Carterville sports, follow us on Instagram and Twitter: @CartervillAth.