Ford Furthers Lions Win Streak

Zech Miller, Sport Reporter

CARTERVILLE – The Lady Lions were all gas, no breaks in the match up on April 18 against the Nashville Hornets. They came into the game with a share of the SIRR (Mississisippi) conference title on the line, and we able to send Nashville home with a 10-0 win.

They started the game off in the field with freshman Taryn Ford on the mound pitching for the Lady Lions. She started off the game strong, striking out the first three batters she faced.

Starting off the game, University of Tennessee commit Amayah Doyle hit a line drive that ricocheted right off Nashville’s shortstop’s glove, giving the Lady Lions their first runner of the game. After that, first baseman Lacie Carr came into the game and drove in Doyle.

A few batters later, Ford hit a bomb that brought Carr and secured the Lions a 3-0 lead going into the second.

Ford continued her performance in the second inning, not allowing a hit and getting the Lions up to bat again. After a scoreless second inning, the Lions hit through the lineup and put up eight runs in the third inning. 

The Lions senior pitcher Katie Kern came in to close out the game and secured the combined no-hitter. 

“I was pretty excited, and with the help of my team beside me it made it more exciting,” said Ford.

She finished the day with 11 strikeouts and a homerun.

The Lions will face Belleville East on April 19 starting at 3:00 pm.

For more updates and to hear more from Carterville sports follow us on Instagram and Twitter on @Cartervilleath.