School, Work, Repeat: What is the CCE Workplace Program?

Senior+Taylor+Wallace%2C+a+student+in+the+CCE+class%2C+works+on+the+computer+at+a+Salon.+

Senior Taylor Wallace, a student in the CCE class, works on the computer at a Salon.

Kayce Glenn, Staff Writer

When filling out schedules for senior year, juniors are offered multiple different options on ways to fill their school day. Regular courses like science, math, and history are all optional, which can leave some gaps when creating their schedule. The class CCE (Cooperative Career Education) Workplace program allows seniors an opportunity to work a job for high school credit, learn about what it takes to be employed, and ways to become a better person and leader. 

The course is a year long class that allows students to work 1-3 hours during the school day. Jobs the students can choose from are practically unlimited. The only factor is that students must be able to make it to their job on time and include work they is something that they plan to do in the future. Some students work in business, like realty and management, while others are working blue collar as construction workers or for lawn management programs.

Allie Stewert is a student currently enrolled in CCE. She plans on majoring in Elementary Education right after high school and has always wanted a chance to get hands-on in a classroom. Upon seeing the opportunity during class enrollment, she was excited to see that she could get an internship at Tri-C Elementary. “It has been a great opportunity. Since I am going into Elementary Ed, it has allowed me to get experience in an elementary classroom, causing me to be extremely excite for my future. I would definitely recommend this class to anyone” said Stewart.

Stewart is grateful for the opportunity to work in Mrs. Webb’s kindergarten classroom, as this is beneficial for her career and adds to her resumes. Like Stewert, other students are also involved in classroom settings, including daycares, pre-k classrooms, or also at the elementary school. 

On the opposite side of the spectrum, students like Noah Tabor and Hudson Chapman work for the City of Carterville where they have tasks like road construction, sign management, and mowing parts of town. This allows them to keep their job in the city due to not being able to work after school hours. “Being in this class has given me the opportunity to be apart of school events. Before this year, it was hard to manage work and be able to go to things like basketball or football games. This year, I was able to make it to the events because I was able to work during school” said Tabor.

Staying local seems to be the most chosen CCE program. Peyton Bittle and Caden Hawkins travel about 5 minutes from the high school to attend work, which happens to be the John A Logan College Fitness Complex. Here, they work the front desk, clean equipment, and ensure every gym-goer is staying safe. Many other students, like Ashley Jackson are also staying local, like working at local or family owned businesses. 

Ms. Owen is the teacher of this class, and she is looking forward to offering this class to the upcoming juniors. “Workplace Experience is a great opportunity for students to get real world, hands-on experiences in a specific career field that interests them.  This year we have students placed in a variety of career areas including Business Management, Education, Construction, and Hospitality” said Owen. The students have enjoyed the class, and even encouraged the juniors to consider the option. Without an almost unlimited range of jobs students can work, they can get the experience they need. Owen also said, “The feedback I’ve received from both supervisors and students has been very positive and we are looking forward to seeing the program continue to grow in the coming years.” 

This class is perfect for the students who need or want to work but struggle finding time outside of school to be employed. Only one period per week has to be given up to attend the CCE class, which still allows time for students to get out and get working. Juniors, this is your sign to work for school credit, and apply to get enrolled in Ms. Owen’s workplace course.