A Tip In The Right Direction

Zech Miller, Sport Reporter

CARTERVILLE- Many people would say tonight was a tip in the right direction for Carterville’s Lady Lions basketball team as they took down Du Quoin, 51-22.

The Lady Lions had previously been on a four game losing streak and tonight’s win put them back on track. 

Lions would start off the game winning the tip off to take control. They would battle the first few minutes of the game before junior Amayah Doyle hit a three point shot, and from that point forward their foot did not come off the gas. 

After a quick three-point response from the Indians, the Lions quickly shut everything down. Solid defense and capitalizing offensive possessions kept them in command. Doyle would leave the quarter with six points, Kennedy Rushing with four, Hillary Siemer with two, and Olivia Russell would get herself in the book, leaving this quarter with two points. Lions ended the first with the score being 14-6 with a Carterville lead.

In quarter number two, the Lions kept welcoming the Indians to the jungle as they stayed steady and played their game. 

Later on in the same quarter, Kamari Adams-Jackson did what she knew best and got to the rim for a quick score. Rushing grabbed herself another four points, ending the half with eight points.

Lions lead 29-11 heading into the locker room. 

Going into the third, there was nobody thinking the Lady Lions could be stopped. They kept all the momentum and picked up right where they left off, finishing the second half of the game in quick fashion.

Junior Kennedy Rushing had lots to say about the Lion defense being a part of their success.

“We played our level and not theirs, and we capitalized on the loose balls,” said Rushing.

The Lady Lions are back in action on Saturday, January 14, at Benton High School playing the Mt. Vernon Rams in the Benton Shootout. To keep up with everything Carterville Athletics, follow us on Twitter and Instragram, @CartervilleAth.