Student of the Month: Blake Cole

Freshman+Blake+Cole+receiving+his+award+for+being+Student+of+the+month+for+October.+

Freshman Blake Cole receiving his award for being Student of the month for October.

Hailey Bolen, News and Feature Editor

September has been an eventful month for CHS students. Homecoming activities, Friday night lights, volleyball games, and so much more have kept students busy. However, one student differed from everyone else. Freshman, Blake Cole, was nominated for CHS student of the month for September. Throughout his time at CHS, he has demonstrated some of the good characteristics required to be a Lion and has set himself up for success in his future high school career.  

Cole is a committed student who is a role model to his friends, family and peers. Outside of school, he has dance parties with friends on face time and goes on walks and plays basketball with some friends while jamming out to music. He said, “Getting student of the month was an honor. I was so proud of myself and it made me feel really good about myself and it also made me so happy that I got student of the month. And I am very thankful to be nominated for the role.” 

Although being a freshman is scary, Cole faces some of his own challenges outside of school. “One of the most difficult challenges was accepting myself for who I am. It may be difficult at times, but you must overcome your insecurities because you are unique and no one can change that. I wasn’t happy with myself because I had insecurities and felt like I couldn’t be myself around others. The more I learned in LEAD class, the more I realized that it isn’t my fault if someone doesn’t like me for who I am. Work and dedication pays off, but being happy with myself is all that matters.” Being in LEAD class has taught Cole how to become a leader and a role model to his peers around him.

Mr. Emrick, the CHS Lead teacher nominated Blake to be Student of the Month. “Blake joined the Lead class and immediately made an impression on the students. Blake’s personality and attitude have really set the tone for the class and his classmates. Blake works extremely hard and has volunteered in our class, demonstrating his willingness to serve and encourage those around him. I’m so proud of how far he’s come in Lead, and I can’t wait to see where he goes from here,” Emrick states. 

Even though a quarter of the school year has passed, many students will have the opportunity to stand out and be nominated for student of the month. Cole’s advice for his fellow students is “to always try your hardest and don’t let people walk all over you. You have to stand up for yourself but, be nice about it. Don’t let people put you down because your worth is so much more than you think. Always remember to keep your circle small.”