Lady Lions Shut Out Massac County

Jada Outland, Sports Reporter

CARTERVILLE- The Lady Lions soccer team hosted the Massac County Patriots and finished the game with a 7-0 win on Thursday, April 21.

The game started with the Patriots kicking off and Carterville’s senior, Audri Strothman, stole the ball right away. 

The first half was mostly played offensively considering the Patriots only had a few trips down to Carterville’s half. However, Carterville had many shots on goal throughout the whole first half and scored four goals. 

The first goal was scored by Strothman at minute 23:06. Only a few minutes after, Rylee Davis (JR) scored two goals within two minutes of each other, both of which were assisted by Strothman. The final goal of the first half was scored by junior Ella O’Brien bringing the halftime score to 4-0, Lions. 

The second half started pretty slow but did continue to be an offensive game for the Lions. 

At minute 25:42 of the second half, freshman Madison Shaw scored the Lions’ fifth goal. O’Brien scored another goal in the second half at minute 11:14. The final goal was scored with one minute left on the clock by Molly Roberston (FR), giving the Lions a 7-0 win.

Considering that this game was mostly offensive for the Lady Lions, Sydney Stuck (SR) shared her thoughts on how she keeps her energy up while the offense is doing their work?

“I always stay aware of what is going on on the field so I can make sure and let my team know the plan.”

The Lady Lions Soccer team will play again at home on 4/25 against Carbondale at 6:00. If you wish to keep up with the Lady Lions soccer and other spring sports, check us out @CartervilleAth on Instagram and Twitter.